Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
grimme

tanning hide, curing feathers?

Some friends of mine shoot game, they wild fowl,stalk deer and control foxes. Can anyone advise how to take capes and saddles off birds and preserve them, also how to deal with hide and pelts? or give an information source. thanks

"Fly tying materials" by Eric Leiser published in 1973 for skinning, preparing and preserving and "Dyeing and Bleaching" by A.K. Best Pub. 1993. A long time ago having more time than money I did attempt to procure my materials via the road kill highway. I have to say with limited success. Now I stick to the professionally prepared materials. I will still on occasion pluck a pheasant or grouse.

Good Luck.

Cheers Futzer.

Some friends of mine shoot game, they wild fowl,stalk deer and control foxes. Can anyone advise how to take capes and saddles off birds and preserve them, also how to deal with hide and pelts? or give an information source. thanks

To be honest, I think it is easier to pluck the birds, wash the feathers well, dry them in a paper sack with a blow dryer, separate by type in individual ziplocks. Watch out for critters. I have heard you can microwave them carefully to kill the critters or freeze the feathers for a while. Someone my be able to add more on killing potential bugs.

I like to freeze them for a week probably because I'm paranoid about infestation we have to much $$$$ invested into the rest of our stuff and because I'd probably wreck them if I microwaved them but remember salt and borax what you can

cheers Rick