Fly Tying
TerryLee

Dragon Fly Color

Here's an easy one (I hope) for you bug guys. I always see different colors of dragon flys around the ponds I fish at. My question is two-fold. First, if there are a lot of dragon flys around a given pond is it safe to assume that there are dragon nymphs in the same pond? Also, if the dragon flys are a particular color does the color of the nymph correlate with the color of the dragon fly that came from it?

I hope this is as easy as it sounds.

Thanks,

Terry

Terry , here's what i know. And I am not by any means an entomologist. See , I'm sure I didn't even spell it right.

There are Dragonflies , Darners ,Skimmers and Damsel fly nymps in my pond.The only way I can discern between them is by size and shape. They are all colored the same. As for their range , I have no idea.

Fred

Here's an easy one (I hope) for you bug guys. I always see different colors of dragon flys around the ponds I fish at. My question is two-fold. First, if there are a lot of dragon flys around a given pond is it safe to assume that there are dragon nymphs in the same pond? Also, if the dragon flys are a particular color does the color of the nymph correlate with the color of the dragon fly that came from it?

I hope this is as easy as it sounds.

Thanks,

Terry

Hi Terry,

Your question is a bit tricky, as adult dragonflies (being terrific fliers) are capable of traveling a considerable distance. Having said that, most any pond is highly likely to have a population of dragonfly nymphs, and often multiple species. Unlike the adults of many other aquatic insect orders, dragonfly males and females of the same species are usually colored quite differently. Also, color-wise, most dragonfly nymphs are a drab shade in the brown to olive to green range, whereas the adults, and particularly the adult males, are often brilliantly colored. Hope this helps.

Fred and Roger thank you for your responses and great information. Now I have to pick a few patterns to try out.

Thanks again!!

Terry