Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

Red Butted Purple

:D Nice fly! Should find some polar bear for wing.

Nah ..... I personally do not like polar bear . I'd much rather swing a fly with goat hair or silver fox . I find that the polar bear has nice irradescent quailties but it lacks movement ..... too "plastic" for me .

Mike

Mike - I have some very old polar bear hair, but I am very stingy with it. Once it is gone, I may never be able to get any again... This year, I have been using genuine skunk tail hair as a substitute for polar bear (skunks are easier to come by). It has that nice translucence of the polar bear hair, but is much softer so it also had nice movement in water. I had posted a comparison of skunk hair to polar bear earlier this year (see link below). I love tying with kid goat hair as well. It makes a great hair wing material and has little build-up where it is tyed in (it compresses nicely). Calf tail also makes great wing material.

Comparison of Genuine Skunk Tail and Polar Bear hair

If you look at many of my recent patterns, you will see that they were tyed with skunk hair.