Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
creekfishin

hackle grade

i just got a good deal on a grade #1 keough hackle . i was just wondering what the diffarance is with the grade number ? this is the first hackle i have bought , it has alot of differant size feathers on it and it is alot better feathers you get in strung saddles .

For the most part a higher grade cape will have more usable feathers and longer feathers thus a higher grade cape will produce more flies then a lower. They also tend to be able to have a greater range is sizes (mostly smaller) and have little or no feather damage. There is no grading standard and each brand follows their own standards.

I use A LOT of hackle in a year. Grade is not part of my selection process. Just because it is a high grade does not mean it will do what you need it to do. If it is the right color, stiffness, size ranges for what I am looking to use it for, etc, etc then I buy it. If it happen to be a higher grade cape all the better since I will get more out of it and take less time trying to find a replacement.

Joe Fox

ok it was 15 $ and it was big . i just dont know what i will do with all the little feathers that are one the cape . i dont tie anything smaller than a 10 . it is like an orange grizzly hackle

When i got my stuff is was a forum member "sell everything" thread so i got a good assortment of grades (about $2500 worth for $500). i find that higher grade is really good for small stuff but B is great for most everything else