Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
deanyuan

(Another) Beginner Vise Question

Hi,

New here, but I've been reading lurking around a bunch. I've been fly fishing for about 5 years now, and really want to get into tying my own flies. I've searched and read on this forums about all the different vises, and have read reviews from flyfishohio and elsewhere. I've checked out my local shop, but all they carry are Regals and another brand thats out of my price range. Also, they offer a class, but theres no way I'd be able to make it there in time after work - so I'm planning on getting a couple books, and just taking a crack at it myself.

So after researching quite a bit, I think I've narrowed my choices down to an Anvil Apex or a Dyna-King Kingfisher. Theres only about a 30 dollar difference between the two, however, the Dyna-King is local to me, and it makes me feel good supporting a local company. The Anvil seems to be a great vise too with a bunch of support from these forums.

I fish mostly still waters, and mostly for trout if that helps any.

Any input woud be greatly appreciated.

dean

I have never tied on a Kingfisher--but I own an Anvil Apex.

I think you would be much better off with the Apex--and I'm not just saying that because I own one. IMHO you get alot more for the money.

The Anvil has a tiltable head (which means you can convert it to true rotary), the Dyna King does not.

The Anvil comes with a C-Clamp AND a pedestal, the Dyna-king generally comes with only a Pedestal OR a C-clamp.

And last but not least---The Anvil is $100 and the Dyna king is $130 :D

I have never tied on a Kingfisher--but I own an Anvil Apex.

I think you would be much better off with the Apex--and I'm not just saying that because I own one. IMHO you get alot more for the money.

The Anvil has a tiltable head (which means you can convert it to true rotary), the Dyna King does not.

The Anvil comes with a C-Clamp AND a pedestal, the Dyna-king generally comes with only a Pedestal OR a C-clamp.

And last but not least---The Anvil is $100 and the Dyna king is $130 :D

I agree. I owned a Kingfisher and hated it because the jaws were at a fixed angle.

I'm a Dyna-King fanboy but I agree with Jan on this one. Dyna-Kings only become logistical when you throw down a bit more coin.

I am curious if you have gotten one yet how you like it. I happen to own an Anvil Apex too, and I love it, though I haven't been tying with it lately. It's been on loan for a couple of months, and it might be a few months before I get it back. It's a great little vise.

Neither :)

I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on the Anvil when my father in law suprised me with the dyna-king trekker. Way better than anything I could have hoped for, or even need in the near future, but I was super excited.

He also offered to give a couple of lessons next time...

So I've just been looking at the vise and gotta say its a beautifully machined piece.

I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on the Anvil when my father in law suprised me with the dyna-king trekker. Way better than anything I could have hoped for, or even need in the near future, but I was super excited.

So I've just been looking at the vise and gotta say its a beautifully machined piece.

Biggest peice of advise I can give you is to learn how to use the jaws properly. Make sure the jaw cam clicks in a 90 degree angle... I seriously can't stress this enough.

That was a very generous gift. I am sure you will love it! Congratulations!

Biggest peice of advise I can give you is to learn how to use the jaws properly. Make sure the jaw cam clicks in a 90 degree angle... I seriously can't stress this enough.

Thanks for the advice, but can you explain further? It looks like on the cam lever there is a notch where its suppose to lock in. When I close it, im not sure what is suppose to be at 90 degrees... the lever itself isnt, but its in that notched area though...

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, but can you explain further? It looks like on the cam lever there is a notch where its suppose to lock in. When I close it, im not sure what is suppose to be at 90 degrees... the lever itself isnt, but its in that notched area though...

Thanks

As long as you hear the "click" when you get the lever into position, you're in the clear.