Fly Tying
Kingfisher

LBI last weekend

My wife and I were in Holgate (LBI) last weekend, Friday through Sunday, and in-between Ivan's remaining nasty rain and wind I was able to get out and fish the bay twice. Friday night I arrived at "the spot" and the fish were quite active; ended up landing a number of blues and a fairly large shad on a baitfish pattern. No pictures to show for it; the action was too good to put the rod down and pick a camera up, and I was the only one out on the point. Action was good for an hour and a half or so. We had torrential rain and heavy gusts that night and the following morning I was able to fish a window of about an hour in sun and relatively-mild wind until the conditions started to really deteriorate, but no fish were present. Nonetheless, it was a good time. I finally got to spend some time casting a new rod aquisition (used Loomis GLX 1388- 8/9) and was enjoying being able to send flies of all sizes a loooong way out there with minimal effort. Can't wait for the blitz next month!

When you have action fast enough to not even want to snap a picture, that is truly a great time. I'm really starting to not like you guys dry.gif

Kingfisher, in a case like this, I'm glad Smallie is jealous - he certainly can't talk about his Smallmouth blitzes, can he!!! blink.gif

One Fish, Two, Fish, Red, Fish, Blue Fish - You know how it goes, Will! ohmy.gif wink.gif

I know I'm not the only one up here getting ready for the mass migration! Jumpy.gif

Mark - I actually "unloaded" that rod just recently to a guy from California in favor of the lighter Loomis rod. While I enjoyed being able to toss 140'+ of line with it, every fish I hooked was severely over-gunned and I honestly was disappointed that there was really no thrill of playing and landing the fish. Of course, this is a factor of my catching stuff under 24" most of the time. I searched far and wide for a rod that would throw line long distance yet was lighter, and the Loomis seemed the perfect choice. I was able to buy a used one in good shape from a local guy on the FFF, lined it with the same braided Kevlar from the Atlantis and 9- and 10-wt. shooting heads, and presto, 120' casts and more sporting battles with the size fish I frequently encounter. So I sacrificed some casting distance but got a more enjoyable experience in return.

BTW - getting rid of the rod was not a factor of past... incidents... shall we say wink.gif biggrin.gif

Dave - That's right: the blitz is just one of the benefits of being here in the Northeast!

I know what your problem is.

See instead of using a fly that will take a shad...use a fly that represents a shad!!!

*** For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Northeast a shad is a fish that averages about 2-3 pounds large ones to 6 or more are not uncommon real fun to catch they leap like mini tarpon - not to be confused with those minnows Bill Dance is always talking about. ***

Nothing like catching a fish on a 15" shad pattern I'll see if I can post one later tonight when I get home....

Oh wait I work on Cape Cod now...and its the Fall so I never go home...eh maybe in December...

This is the pattern I caught the fish on...

This is tan back on a size 1 Mustad C70SD, though they can be tied on larger or smaller hooks as needed to match the predominant size of the forage fish that are being targeted. I also tie these with olive backs, yellow backs, pink backs, and in all-white for saltwater. Will be working on mackerel, shad, and bunker patterns shortly for the blitz.

I'll post the FW patterns elsewhere...

post-21-1095795146.jpg

Where at in holgate were you fishing? I frequent that area in a boat. I have been doing great catching blues and shad in the rip out on the back tip. We have been getting lots of weakfish along the dropoffs along the back side too. Mullet run has begun and the big blues and resident bass have been in and out of the surf too

The fall is just getting started and I cant wait headbang.gif

I couldn't even tell you how to get there by boat, since I get there by land. Essentially, you'd be looking for a house with a big wooden ship (children's play house) in the "front yard", and a set of pilings that have yet to be built upon. These are both fairly far off the water, with about 35 yds. of marsh separating the houses from the bay. There's a long spit of land there with a shallow pond just on the inside, and the point of that spit is where I typically fish. It's normally a mob scene in the Spring, but in the Fall it can be had all to one's self much of the time.

I know where you mean I have gone out there on a good northeast blow and still been able to cast. I work on hte island building houses so I get to see a lot of neat little places to get out of the wind and still fish over there. next time you are down the front beach should be open for beach buggies you should try to get down to the tip and around the back end there are some nice rips that you can hit from land as long as you can beat the bait guys to them.(they fill up shoulder to shoulder if someone catches a fish in one) Any way good luck and drop a pm next time you are going to be in the area maybe we can fish together sometime

BT - Will do. I'm not sure if I'll get down there again this season, as the weekends are totally packed from here on out through mid-November, but if I get a chance to head down there I'll let you know. Otherwise, the next time I'm down there to fish will be the weekends around Memorial Day of next year.