Fly Tying
getholdofjoru

Beads-nymphs-What size?

help.gif I'm going to tie up some nymphs sizes 16, 18 and 20. I know that I need to get 3x nymph hooks for these to sit properly. I will be tying Gold Ribs, Pheasant tails, Princes and Zug bugs. Which bead sizes should I use for these hooks sizes or will one size do for all three?

Thanks for the help.

i use2.3 mm tungsten beads for a size 14... may have to go one size smaller for your smaller hooks... 1.8mm or so. the gold beads i use are labelled x-small but they go down another size wich should work for you... xx-small

hope that helps a little.

josh

Edit: Oh yeah, all of my beads i use on tiemco hooks and they all fit over the barb on the 14's and snugly against the eye, you may be able to get away with some smaller ones if no barb.

I tye a lot of bead head flies.

I prefer Spirt River barnd of beads. From experience I have come up with the following chart.

Hook size Bead size

18 3/32

14 and 16 1/8

20 5/64

8 and 10 5/32

6 and 4 1/4

Hope this helps

Here's a good set of guidelines:

Bead Size, mm; Bead Size, inches; Hook Size

1.5 1/16" 22 - 26

2.0 5/64" 18 - 22

2.3 3/32" 16 - 18

3.2 1/8" 12 - 14

4.0 5/32" 8 - 10

4.8 3/16" 4 - 6

I can't get the post to show as a table, but I know you can figure it out. Hope this helps.

John

SIZE BEADSIZE mm BEAD SIZE in" HOOK SIZE

x micro glass 1 24 - 32

micro 2.0 5/64" 18 - 22

mini 2.3 3/32" 16 - 18

x small 2.8 7/64" 14 - 16

small 3.2 1/8" 12 - 14

medium 4.0 5/32" 8 - 10

large 4.8 3/16" 4 - 6

Here's my bead chart very simple and strait forward. If you tie a lot of bead flies here is what I do. Because there are so many different sizes and makers of beads and nymph hooks and they are all a little different, I go through using the chart above as a rough guide. Find which bead fits which hook the best, and dump the right size bead in with the right size hook. That way, whether I am tying a regular fly or a beaded fly, I just reach into that compartment and grab either a hook, a bead, or both. It might sound messy, but in fact it is very organized way to keep your nymph hooks and beads I always have the right size bead and hook right there when I need it. I only have to open one box and I don't have to go rumaging around.