Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
brownsnatcher

Ganaraska run

Hi all, long time since I 've posted anything. anyways was out at the Ganaraska in Ontario

last weekend. had my 15yr old daughter on the river with me, she didn't hook anything but never gave up. looking forward to the trout run. after not being there in over ten years, actually will be there twice this year. My daughter is really looking forward to it and I think she would have a better chance with some trout than the Salmon. Ontario boys am I right with thinking the steelhead run is the third to last week of October, sorry don't remmeber, like I said it's been a long time. be nice if someone could keep me informed.here's a pic of one of the salmon I picked up.

post-4043-0-10808500-1317607354_thumb.jpg

Nice fish!!! What fly did you use to catch that behemoth? JW, but why is your line taught, and leading directly to the tail?

Nice work, surprised i didn't run into you down there! Some beasts came in during the run, unfortunately its closed now apart from the lower section, trout season is over too. All i can say is look at the regs book and plan your trip around that, damn i would have loved a fly buddy during the chinooks. Yeah steelhead *cough* steelbows will be coming in soon. Hey did you come across any coho's there? I was mainly fishing upriver of that footbridge and one way traffic bridge all the way up to the island and well beyond, i suspect you guys were further down from shoppers drug mart? I only saw one dead coho. Not many fly guys either, i found one kid who was in grade 11 who i fished with a bit, other than that it was snagging and gear fishers i saw...ugh. Fucking shame.

Tip - look for extended trout season water in the regs :) I gotta dig my book out and do some research, that steel will be coming soon.

I'll give you a quick tip too..Do Not! put your hands in the fishes gills, ever! (like you are doing right there) cradle it and if you must take a photo out of the water, make it quick! Do not ever chuck these fish on the bank if you intend to release them!!! If you intend on keeping them, please say if you are going to post photo's.

Respect the resource and help me every time i go there pick up the 100's of coffee cups and frikken litter/ garbage, i am have had a gut full of people disrespecting the resource already!

Paz

ONE THERE IS NO LINE SO i DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU SEE IN THE LINE TO THE TAIL?

TWO, CAUGHT ON INMATION ROE BAG. LOTS OF FRESH FISH CAME UP ON THE SATURDAY AND LOTS OF PEOPLE ON THE RIVER.

HAD A GOOD TIME AND TROUT ISN'T FINISH, JUST DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU FISH. WILL BE THERE IN 3RD WEEK OF OCTOBER.

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE GUYS.DON'T HAVE HANDS NEAR THE GILLS AND WE MOST DEFINITLY DON'T LITTER, MY DAUGHTER IS A RECYCLE NUT SO SHE WOULD KILL ME.

Good work on the garbage, i wish more people were like you...In the picture your hand is under the gillplate no? Not trying to get you fired up or anything i just thought it was a fly tying sub forum, you should try them on the fly.

Zone 17 regulations - Ganaraska River

Rainbow Trout* 4th Sat. in Apr. to

Sept. 30

Pacific Salmon* 4th Sat. in Apr. to

Sept. 30

Rainbow trout, Brown trout and Pacific salmon extended fall season (4th Sat. in April to Dec. 31)

Northumberland County - all waters downstream of

Hwy. 2, except the Ganaraska River which may only

be fished downstream of the south side of the C.N.R.

bridge.

Regional Municipality of Durham - all waters

between Hwy. 2 and the southerly limit of the C.N.R.

right-of-way.

OR

Rainbow trout, Brown trout and Pacific salmon open all year

Cobourg Brook (Cobourg Creek/Factory Creek) –

between the southerly limit of the C.N.R.

right-of-way and Lake Ontario.

Gages Creek - between the southerly limit of the

C.N.R. right-of-way and Lake Ontario.

Ganaraska River - between the southerly limit of the

C.N.R. right-of-way and Lake Ontario.

Regional Municipality of Durham - all waters lying

between the southerly limit of the C.N.R. right-of-way

and Lake Ontario.

If you look at the map highway 2 and the CNR, both are right at the rivers mouth. Which means the river is closed besides those very tiny areas. In general here in Ontario trout closes on sept. 30. I know the section of river i fish is well and truly out of bounds right now.

Thanks, for the info, I know how it works ,did live out there for 8 years.

this is more of an experience for my 15yr old, loves to fish and loved the last trip.

will keep in touch if you want to meet up when I'm there.

Thanks again, Rod Earl

Sorry i came across as an ass before! I did see some crazy stuff happening down by that river that got me all fired up, i won't list them on here tho. On the other hand I met some great people down there! Been some rather large browns been caught on occasions and i have only seen mini bows so far, i even saw a coho and one great big atlantic. Its warmer today but this colder weather should be bringing them in soon. Anyway yeah if i see you guys down there i will say y0. It's always impressive to see kids into fishing at that age and enjoying the outdoors.