Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewP

Deadhead Minnow

Looks like a Siliclone to me. Try Bob Pops way...the silicone head makes it soft and squishy which does not interfere with hook up. Using CCG or other UV resins would make this fly too hard and lose the enticement of the fly! Silicone can be messy, but using photo-flo or mineral spirits will smooth that head right out and make clean up a cinch!

Sean, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I think Photo-flo is history. (Haven't you heard about the digital revolution LOL?) Seriously, Photo-flo is just a wetting agent - a little dishwashing detergent in water will do the trick just as well. (It also works on photographic negatives if you're one of the three people on Mother Earth who still use film.) BTW - A friend of mine uses silicone instead of epoxy on Ultra-shrimp type patterns to get rid of the "plasticky" look and feel of the original - I'll bet that Tulip stuff might be worth a try instead of silicone. Just a thought.

LOL!! Yup i'm one of the three....many camera shops around me have it, especially if yer by a college town. $5 for a bottle....lasts forever..Detergent works awesome too.

Joe...I truly admire your passion for the product (if CCG is listening----Give this Kid a T-Shirt!!!). Here's the challenge....tie a deadhead with CCG flexi and then tie a Siliclone with silicone(to the recipe) and let me know which is more pliabe....I totally understand your loyalty to the product, I love the stuff myself(although I don't use the flexi), but when you make 6"-9" Siliclones with a 2"-2 1/2" head of rams wool or icelandic sheep tied hollow and coated I think you'll find that you are using ALOT of CCG. New technology is great, but there is something to be said about the classics.

lol, sorry about the previous post, did not mean to dis-respect you in anyway or come at you in an angry tone. I was saying "hey check out this stuff, it can be easier wit this product" - sorry about the clearity of my message, I apologize.

Anyhow, its funny how you bring up that point. After I got off the internet I made some flies with CCG flex and silicone - the ccg flex is good and contains flex but only on small to medium "heads", you were right you cant have a big cigar shape and head like this type of fly and have the same flex vs silicone. I personally like silicone. Have never tried tulip glue. Thanks for the advice