Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Bow River

I live 5 minutes from the bow river i heard its a fishing hot spot. Haven't fished there much. Ive caught a few rainbow and a dozen white fish. Any thoughts on this river?

I also live 5 minutes from the shores of the Bow (just up by SAIT)....some great brown, bull, and bow action on the river if you hit the right places, even inside the city limits....and pretty much year-round. Not surprisingly, a large percentage of my yearly fishing-hours are spent on the Bow.

I also live 5 minutes from the shores of the Bow (just up by SAIT)....some great brown, bull, and bow action on the river if you hit the right places, even inside the city limits....and pretty much year-round. Not surprisingly, a large percentage of my yearly fishing-hours are spent on the Bow.

your in much better fishing area on the bow then i am i bet. I live in Cochrane about 20 minutes west of calgary.

your in much better fishing area on the bow then i am i bet. I live in Cochrane about 20 minutes west of calgary.

A bit...I am just north of downtown, but I prefer the Bow a bit south (south of Glenmore Trail). The trout fishing on the Bow up by Cochrane can be a bit sparse, but you certainly have the whitefish, especially between now and October (I am thinking of heading out there, by the 22x bridge tomorrow morning to catch a few whites). I can suggest some great spots in and below Calgary. Luckily, you also have some good spots on other bodies closer to you, like Jumpingpound Creek (for Brookies), the Bow just below the Ghost, Dogpound Creek, and Grand Valley Creek.

thats right where i fish for the whites. Under or near the 22x bridge lots if them ther.i also fish on the bow near Spray lakes arena. Fishing the jumpingpound is also a good spot. haven't fished it much but when i have i had good luck. Below the ghost ive caught many nice size trout. no monsters but all keepers. A great place for fly fishing is a lake called Winchell lake. lots of trout non huge but by the end of the season they are getting better. Its just 30 min north west of Cochrane. its a great place for fly fishing the fish are always rising. its a must for fly fisherman in the area.

Well, I am glad that you have discovered a few good places out by you. In order to get the best out of the Bow, you really need to drive a bit and hit it along the south end of Calgary through to Carseland.