Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowmike

A few HEAVY anchor flies

Just a few of my new HEAVY anchor patterns for czech nymphing. The ribbing in brown vinyl rib, and the body material is from a squirrel dubbing box. I like the look of the body material. It is not quite as buggy as natural grey squirrle but i like the flash that is present from the mix of synthetic flash material. The body is wrapped from shank to just before eye then wrapped back for the thorax bulk. I added the dumbell eyes for extra weight. I think they will be deadly but i just hope my 4 weight can chuck them out there.

I will be testing them this weekend and will let you know how they pan out.

post-43467-0-98663100-1364912141_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-39031300-1364912148_thumb.jpg

Those are buggy looking. I think "chuck them out there" is a fair description of what you'll likely be doing. I was doing that this morning, tossing a 3/0 balsa bug with my 5wt., I switched over to a #4 after a while.

Kirk

Why waste your time tying such complicated stonefly patterns for euro nymphing ? A rubber legs pattern with a tungsten bead and wrapped with lead is much easier to tie. I just adjust the amount and size lead according to water levels. I can bang out over 30 in an hour and don't cringe when I loose them.. People over complicate euro nymphing in general. KISS. Keep it simple stupid !!

Oh. And I almost fish exclusively with a 2 wt or 3 wt sage ESN and have never ha a problem even with the heaviest of flys. Sometimes when the water is really high I use 2 anchor flys to help get it down. Also I am almost always using 6x from the first fly down to get the flys down. Hence a 2 wt or 3 wt wt to help protect the tippet

Rockstar, these are pretty easy. the only thing that takes time is putting on the eyes to be honest. The rest are simple wraps. I could not get 30 in an hour but 12-15 is not a bad estimate on time. I also really enjoy tying so it is not that big of deal to me. besides the dumbell eyes and a few quick wraps for the natural skin this is very similar to the rubber legs stone fly. you can also see my caddis larva anchor in the picture. Just weight a hook, add vinyl rib and peacock and you are done. I catch a lot on these simple larva patters. I do follow the K.I.S.S method most of the time, but sometimes you just have to tie something a little more intricate than a walts worm. Sometimes just for the ego boost. ;)