Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Fly tying expo

Well for those of us that didnt get to make it did anyone that went to the expo today see anything new or intresting???

Guess if you cant be there then ya have to live through others wink.gif

SD

It was my first time seeing tube flies. They were definitely interesting and I resisted the urge to buy tools and enter a new realm of tying. help.gif

The autction was some what lame compared to past years but profitable (that's what it's about anyways right) none the less.

Dennis Potter put on a good show and our friend Dry Fly Dave was there with his wife. She's gonna make a visor for me.

All in all pretty good.

Tube flies are very interesting and funny you mentioned them Dornug becuase i was just lookin at a article in a back issuee of FlyRod&Reel from june about tube flies and i am kinda interested in tryin some when i get chance but dont really know if i want to get into a totally new type of fly when i still have alot of patterns that i'm tryin to work on right now.

Sounds like you still had a decent time though.

SD

Tube flies have their benefits but I don't need a new facet either right now. I did buy some beads from the fella that would make great steelhead flies, especially for at night.

All in all a good day. Beats work. headbang.gif

I'm stuck at home all weekend or i would have went and deff stopped to meet ya John,would liked to have been able to go and sit down to have ya show me your hex and sparrow flies if i had the chance. I dont know if many other members had the chance to go or not though.

SD

I didn't catch your sign and didn't know what booth you were at. I'm betting you didn't say hi to me 'cuz I at least looked at every table in the place. Including the FlyGirls table expecting to see BDH. hubbard.gif

Sorry BDH, I couldn't resist.

ridderbos3, i am truly sorry that i did not stop and say hi or introduce myself. if i would have known that you were there ( i must have missed the post about you being there) and where you were located i would have stopped and introduced myself and shot the proverbial shit with you for a while.

none the less, most of my time was spent at tony pagliei's table trying to learn about tubeflies. i picked up a kit from him last year and have talked to him at various tying shows or classes, but never had the chance to sit and watch him tie tubes. yesterday he obliged me and tied up a few. very nice, and i can now see where i was going wrong the whole time i have been trying to tie up the tubes. now one must understand, his tubes are not the "traditional" tubes that everyone is so used to seeing in the magazines and books. he is part of a new style of tube, called the convertible tube fly. with these you can mix and match colors of the actual fly. it is a little hard to explain, but imagine having a wooly bugger with a body tied up in black. now take the tail of the bugger (the trailing hook in all reality) and you can make as many colors for it as you wish. color combos like black and purple, black and white, black and chartruese and so one are easy to do now without having to have one fly for each color combo. now you just have the main body tube and the different colored trailing hooks and alot more room in your box for other flies.

if you are still confused you can check out his website here tube flies and this should explain more.

i spent the majority of my time talking with the people that were tying what i wanted to either learn, or to hone my skills on. i talked to a couple of gentleman about tying wets and soft hackles, and to another about tying midge and other small flies and of course learned alot of tricks for the tube flies. and walked out with alot less money than i went in with.

it was nice to see you and your dad again dornug and ypsi (from ms) and i believe msuiceman too.

John

Sorry to hear so few stopped by.Really wish things would have worked out to make it.

PM or email me let me know how things went.

Rick