Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Species Index - Official Launch

First, I have to thank all the editors who have volunteered their time to make this project possible, it's not fun work by anyone's standards and I appreciate what they have done so far.

Some of you may remember the post I made awhile back announcing the "Species Index". At that time the program was just getting started and since then I have been working with the editors to give them more functionality and they have been hard at work cataloging all the information. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the program here is how it works.

The species index is a library of information categorized by species. The information is gathered by the editors and consists of fly patterns and topics from both FlyTyingForum.com and TalkFlyFishing.com. This is a valuable program because topics and patterns get buried deep into the site over the course of time yet they contain valuable information for anyone trying to learn more about a particular species. For example there was a discussion not long ago about how sparse everyone ties a clouser minnow. This would be great information for anyone just learning how to tie and is interested in fishing for smallmouth. If they are a new member or just visiting that topic might not be easily found but with the species index that topic can be grouped to smallmouth(or any other appropriate species) which makes it far easier to find along with other great information and patterns associated with that species.

Currently I am working on trying to integrate that information into the website. To begin with I have started automatically generating links to a species page if that species happens to be mentioned in a post. For example when I type in smallmouth , largemouth , panfish , shad ....etc a link is generated so somebody can click on that link and would be forward directly to that species' page which would contain all the information collected by the editors. I still have more species links to generate in this fashion but it is something I am working on at the moment.

Also in the future I plan on adding even more content to the species pages including photo gallery submissions, fly fishing logbook submissions and a directory of articles/patterns found around the web(not from this site). So this program will continue to be a work in progress and will evolve over time as long as there are new topics and patterns being posted there will always be more information being gathered by the editors.

To go directly to the "Species Index" click the link at the top left in the navigation bar.

Smallie, I tried the species index but Bluefish didn't work. It said it couldn't find that info on this server. Any ideas about this? Thanks.

gun_bandana.gif gunsmilie.gif

Very cool this is like the F.T.F, encyclopedia. I have been busy and have only had a limited time on the computer. I am still unsure how to edit topics. I will be on the computer today and will "get er done".

Sign in to follow this