Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
yakfisher

Last Cast

The wife and I went fishing at a buddy of mines pond this evening. She had caught a small bream and lost a pretty nice bass when our dog Charlotte knocked it off at the bank. We had fished for over an hour and the top water bass popper I usually use was not working. I was about to chaulk the whole evening up to the skunk when I said to my wife, I want to try something. I tied on one of my sinking flies I call the combo fly that has a lot of action to it. It was just about dark so I told her one more cast. Well I flung it out there and after about two strips, I felt a hard thump, I stripped it again and wham. It was on then! The fish went straight to the weeds. I told her if I have to get in, I am going to land this bass. I kept pressure on it and after what seemed like an eternity but in reality was just a couple of minutes It came out of the weeds and I lipped a 2-10 LM bass. That was soo cool. I didn't take the camera and even if I had it was dark by the time I got the fish in. I love fly fishing, especially when you catch them on your own flies! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

When dusk gives way to darkness and you've caught your first fish ever on a fly you've tied, numbers are immaterial. But - I am interested in the answer!

Congrats!

Way to go! My last cast is usually the one when it too dark to retie and I've gotten the entire length of my leader and tippet wrapped tightly around my rod tip!