Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kodiak Commando

Buskin river pinks and a buskin rive bear

Man oh man it was good to get out fishing today because i have not been out for a week and a half! Any way i went fishing for pinks salmon at the buskin river which is a 8 mile long river that comes out of a big lake, the river is about 20 feet wide on average and gets about 80, 000 pinks a year and last year it got 120,000 pinks. It's quite a site to see a river that small clogged with 10,00 4 to 8 pounds salmon per mile :shocked:

I went to my favorite hole and one of the few river spots i enjoy because most of the pinks are still chrome and because buskin fish are big, about 4 pound average with plenty of 5 to 8 pounders. The river was real low so i had to be sneaky and i just dead drifted a clauser and watch 12 fish in an hour come and hit it. I was setting the hook purely on sight, no feel involved. Because the fish were still chrome they had plenty of power for my 5 weight especially 3 fish that took me into my backing which is vere impressive since they don't have much water to work with.

After the last fish a guy with a camer notified a bear was coming. So i left the river but took some pictures of the bear that i have seen a lot. Unfortunately for the bear it's getting way to used to people so it may be a dead bear soon.

user posted image

All the Grayish blue spots on the far side of the river are pink salmon

user posted image

A nice chrome female that took me into my backing

user posted image

The bear fishing

user posted image

The bear with a fish he caught

That looks awesome! Im trying to find some places like that up in south central AK. I think i found a good place up near Talkeetna a couple weeks ago. Ive heard that the fishing is really good up there now, so ill go up here in the next week or so I think. Beautiful pics though.

Beautiful pictures and thanks for sharing with us.That many fish in such a stretch as to be a site in its own.

tt

Fine stuff KC. I got my share of fresh pinks in June up on the Golsovia River with Gerry Austin. Kings too, of course. They do give you your money's worth when they're fresh, that's for sure.

I posted two reports on my trip on www.hipwader.com here in Ontario, if you're interested in some pics. Look under "Recent Hipwader Headlines" on the home page.

We hit some major mayfly and caddis hatches that week, which surprised the hell out of me. Luckily I had some trout flies with me, so the Arctic Char action was unbelievable too!

Can't wait to go back.

Cheers....Fred

yahoo.gif yahoo.gif