Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Swamp Fly

Fishless Tuesday...

I've been hitting the local creeks for the last couple of months, sometimes on foot and sometimes in the canoe.  I should post an overview soon.

One of the creeks I like to fish is Fisheating Creek, it empties into Lake Okeechobee.  It's somewhat of an odd creek in that the channel disappears into a marsh for a while so you can't actually run the length of it (major flood stage being the exception). like many creeks around here water flow drops to a trickle or even stops altogether during dry season. Only holes and bends hold water then. Rainy season got a real boost to start with this year with the tropical low that moved through. We went from zero flow and a gauge height of 0.03 ft to 223 cuft/s  and 4.5 ft gauge height in less than three weeks.  I've actually never been on the creek with water this high since the fishing is better when it's lower.  I wanted to see what it was like.  It was tough so I actually spent very little time fishing.  I decided to just explore the creek.  I spent the day 16 miles of paddling 8 upstream and 8 back down.  The entire 8 miles downstream I raced a thunderstorm back to the ramp, it took 2 hours.  I'm going to feel that tomorrow.  Who am I kidding? I already feel it!  If I had spent the time to fish more I'm sure I would have figured it out but I've been wanting to explore further upstream for years.  The pesky act of catching a lot of hungry fish in a confined area always got in the way!  When I got back to the ramp and finished loading up, the sun came out.  Typical Florida, Sun + rain together = normal...

For all the folks that want to rush down and see what a South Florida cypress creek in paradise looks like you should know I saw a lot of friends on the creek today, all of them gators.  I saw at least 50-60, less than a dozen were less than 8'.  I didn't see any real monsters, but a couple were pushing at least 12'.  I could smell the dominant boar gators before I saw them. It's a distinct odor and I don't wade when I smell it, I stay on the bank or in the canoe.  Frankly I usually just move on, plenty more creek.

I'm thinking it's time for a couple of fingers of single malt.  That is provided I can un-cramp my hands long enough to not have to use a straw.  I will only stoop but so low!

Swamp

20230606_181647.jpg

On 6/6/2023 at 10:57 PM, Swamp Fly said:

If I had spent the time to fish more I'm sure I would have figured it out but I've been wanting to explore further upstream for years.  The pesky act of catching a lot of hungry fish in a confined area always got in the way!

Sometimes its just nice being out there on the water.  Sounds like a good day to me.  

We think alike! While I could have done without the mad two hour dash back to the ramp, I really enjoyed it.  I plan on going back as soon as water levels drop some, water is up almost another foot since then.  I just bought replacement batteries for my camera so I think I might spend most of a day taking some photos.

On a surprising note I was not sore the next day.  Not sure why, I really should have been. It must have been the scotch! I'll have to test that theory again sometime. LOL