Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brookieboy

parachute tip

If you have trouble with the hackle on your parachute patterns slipping off the post after a few fish, try this.

After finishing the fly, use a disposable insulin syringe to inject head cement into the bottom of the post where the hackle is wound. Inject it straight down from the top of the post, being careful not to inject too much, you don’t want to soak the dubbing around the post. I find I can get several flies from one syringe before it gunks up too much.

I am diabetic, so instead of tossing the syringe after I use it, it goes to the tying bench. If you know someone who is diabetic, annoy them until they start giving you used syringes for your cause. Most diabetics use a syringe once or twice a day, so it doesn't take long to build up a supply of used ones. Around here, you can’t get them without a prescription, and they cost big bucks anyway. They come in different needle sizes, any size will work fine.

blink.gif BE CAREFUL! Those small needles are SHARP !! Put the needle cap back on each time you use it. I keep an empty pop can on the bench to toss the syringes in when they are done for.

Good suggestion !

I just add a drop or two with my dubbing needle at the base where the hackle meets the post, and almost never have a problem with the hackle coming off.