Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

Biscayne Bay nights

Last night the tarpon took my anglers to school... We jumped a half dozen or more in bridge shadows and docklights using both lures and flies.  The fish, a mix of small tarpon in the 20 to 50lb range were up at the surface and feeding - perfect sight-fishing conditions.  My father and son anglers (Dad with the fly rod,  15 year old son with light spinning gear) got introduced to the night scene in the usual way - breaking off fish on the strike or hanging on as the fish jumped off after the hook up... Great fun between Miami and Miami Beach... Here's a pic of the flies we used in sized 1/0 and 2/0.... Always in white so my anglers can see where the fly is in relation to the fish at night...

sdocw5v.jpg

The rods I have for night trips are an 8,9, and 10wt (the ten weight is reserved for nights when the bigger fish are in the shadows...).

This time of year it's all happening - the backcountry of Everglades National Park for day trips (Flamingo, Chokoloskee, or Goodland to the north, near Marco Island), night trips in Biscayne Bay or up in Jupiter, and peacock bass with other exotics in local canals...