Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jjhaag

crossing borders with tying kit?

Hi all,

I'm currently living in Michigan, and I'm going to be spending a month out on Canada's west coast. I've got a relatively portable tying kit, and I want to bring it with me. I was wondering if any of you have taken tying kits across the border into Canada (and, importantly, been able to bring them back in) - I'm concerned about all of the animal products and any restrictions there might be on transporting them. It's all commercial material (no personally killed skins or salvaged roadkill). Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Cheers, Josh

(also tried do an introductions post a while back, but have been getting weird errors and haven't seen it on the forum. sorry if that didn't go through, and I'll repost it later)

Hi Josh,

Good info. from Trout Bum. Regular materials should be no problem but don't try to slip an "under the table jungle cock cape" through with out being noticed. Have a good trip & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I would say that as long your tying kit does not contain too many cigarettes or booze coming to Canada or take back too many terrorists or communists when returning to the States, you will be ok.

Hi Josh,

Good info. from Trout Bum. Regular materials should be no problem but don't try to slip an "under the table jungle cock cape" through with out being noticed. Have a good trip & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

:lol:

Coming up isn't an issue (booze and smokes excepted :D), but going back, even with stuff originally purchased in the States, could give you a world of trouble. Let's face it, most border guards (non fishing ones anyway) couldn't tell angora from seal. Do you really want to spend 4 hours with a border guard explaining the differences between squirrel tail and polar bear? Bring your vise, hooks, a few packs of dubbing, thread, tools, etc., buy what you need up here, and then donate the stuff to some kids' tying class (I can recommend a few good ones in BC).

Aaron

I have been from Toronto to the US 3 times since May and have not had a problem, nor have any of the crew with me. We just lie. "Do you have any liquor or anything to declare?" "NO." "Where are you going?" "To ... to go FLYFISHING." Saying F'Fing seems to be the magic key. All of the materials are in commercial packaging (except for some dyed bucktail that could never be mistaken for natural) and the tying kits are buried in the luggage. They have never been searched (not in the last 7 years either). If you DO want to say that you have anything to declare (on the way home) just say, "Some leftover fishing supplies". Otherwise I agree, if you are nervous just bring what you think is perfectly safe and buy the rest here.

Hmm. Think that I'm going to take just my synthetics and seriously processed materials like dubbing (+hooks and all that), and pick up whatever else I can when I'm there. It's going to be a semi-permanent home for me out there for the next year or two, so it couldn't hurt to have less to cart back and forth, but I've laid out $1500+ in the last eight months on materials. And I'm not exactly on a lush budget.

As for just tossing it in the luggage and hoping for the best, when I travel, I'm generally stressed out and up against a bunch of deadlines. So I probably won't have shaved or washed my clothes recently, I'll be bleary and red-eyed from staying up late or all night packing, and I'm relatively young compared to the usual business travel crowd - you can bet your ass that I get searched every time. I don't think that I've been anywhere in the past two years when I haven't found one of those little inspection cards in my bags.

Anyway, thanks all for the advice. Here's hoping that the meager pile of stuff I decide to bring gets through. And I'll let you all know if there's any problems in either direction.

-J

Just be careful if you do buy a few materials in Canada. Otter, Polar bear and seal are all legal materials in canada but not in the US.