Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Coho Patterns

Planning on fishing the Harrison or Vedder Rivers near the end of September for Coho.

Does anyone have a couple of good patterns for these rivers.

From what I've heard/read many people have luck with "egg patterns" like glo-bugs etc. Never fished the BC area though so it might be different up there. Sounds like fun!

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Aug 12 2003, 02:27 PM)
From what I've heard/read many people have luck with "egg patterns" like glo-bugs etc. Never fished the BC area though so it might be different up there. Sounds like fun!

I'm wondering would this egg pattern work on Coho's

user posted image

I would be interested in knowing, please someone advise.

Joe

From what I have hear that would be perfect joe! Never caught a coho but really been reading up on salmon the past couple weeks and that is what I have been reading.

I fish these rivers all the time for salmon and steelhead, the link below has plenty of coho and steelhead patterns for the area.

Rob H.

www.flytyersden.com

Weight is a good question. In some jurisdictions, the weight must be part of the fly. In others, you are allowed to add weight to the line. Make sure you know what the rules are.

When I fished the Susitna in Alaska, a few years ago, we were not allowed to use a hook with a gape greater than 1/2" (that's a size 2 for most manufacturers), but we could add split shot to the leader. I think all my ESL's had a layer of .030" or .035" under the body, though, so additional weight wasn't an issue there.

Try a Christmas Tree or a Blue Rolled Mudler.smile.png

Maybe I'll see you out there if I ever get my boat, motor and trailer together and set up.

Not sure about the stream specific regulations on the vedder or the harrison , but the rules tend to preety relaxed about terminal tackle and all that here in B.C. Just no dropper flies, not that you would want to use one for coho.

As for patterns rolled muddlers are a local favorite. Subbing in marabou for a wing, and adding krystal flash makes for an intresting variation. Its worth noting that coho are like water magpies. If its bright and shiny and moving past there face, they cant seem to resist putting it in there mouth .