Fly Tying
redneck

Bass in Georgia?

Does anybody know of a good place to fly fish for bass in Georgia? I live in Clayton County, that's just south of Atlanta, and I'm just getting into fly fishing and what better to fish for than bass, so I'm turning my question over to you guys, Redneck.

About any of the good size rivers including the Chattahooche then you have the lakes - Lanier, Alatoona (up here where I live), Sinclair over East of Madison around Greenville. Just aobut need a boat on the lakes though.

I prefer farm ponds but with all of the problems people are having with trespassing etc, you are gong to find that it is hard to get people to let you fish in their ponds.

Redneck a good way to start finding the species you are lookin for in a "new" lake (if you cant get info by word of mouth)is to check DNR stocking reports or check for state recorded fish and what body of water they where caught in. Also do a search on the web under the lakes name and the state and it will tell you the rec fishing opp's for that lake.

SD

Redneck,

I would like any one that I can fish in. I just do not have the time to go fishing anymore, for various reasons.

I live within 10 minutes of Alatoona and there is some great fishing there but between everyting that is going on, I cannot get away from the house. Maybe this Spring.

I really like to fish ponds better than anything but as I said, most people will run you off if you go and ask.

Steel Drifter gave you some good info and I would follow up on that. If you go to any search engine and type in Georgia DNR (Department of Natural Resources), that should give you some good info. You can also look under Parks and Recreation and that will give you a list of some of the lakes.

Sorry that I cannot be of more help.

Heck, my partner keeps setting aside a week in May for me to come to Key West and go after tarpon and I cannot even get the time to go down there and that is free. Heck of a note!!

Joe, maybe it's just you they run off! If I saw your ugly mug comin' to ask me somethin' I'd run you off too! eek.gif bugeyes.gif Mooning-Smilie.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

flytyer, please forward my name to your friend for the tarpon! LOL, kidding bud. I would get on the phone and talk to some local bait/tackle shops, i'm sure they can at least give you a general idea.

steve

Make sure that it is a reputable tackle shop. Some of these guys that run bait shops are still a little behind the times and might wonder what fly fishing is.

I was teaching someone how to cast one time and we were usng an area besides a football field. A couple of guys came up and watched us. One of them asked what type of fish that we thought we could ctch where we were. I told them we were practicing for grass carp. Go wonder.

Jim, I was hoping that you were serious and that way I ccould start my rants and raves again. Darn!!!!!!!!!!!!! wallbash.gif

On a more serious note. I just drew a blank.

Redneck, there are several fly shops in Atlanta. The Fish Hawk is the best and is in Buckhead. Gary Merriman is a great guy and can probably do you more good in a shorter amount of time than any other thing you can do. I used to tie for him. Call them and see what they say. Just type The Fish Hawk in any search engine and it will bring up their phone number.

Here are several places in Atlanta:

Orvis Company Store in Atlanta,Ga (404)841-0093

The Classic Angler

2817 Peachtree Rd. NE, Atlanta, GA 30305

(404) 233-5100

Fish Hawk The

277 Buckhead Av Ne, Atlanta, GA 30305

(404) 233-5065

Hope that these will help.

Check out Calloway Gardens. I was there for the Father's day Fly fishing day they had, and was able to fish some in between tieing flies. The pond have some really BIG bass. and monster Gills.

Give Carl Warmouth a call at the fly shop there.

Irish

Hey Jim, I figured that yau'll knew each other and you were just messin with him.

I think I worded my original question wrong, what I want to know is where you guys like to fly fish in Georgia. Or, do you fly fish out of a boat? I know that at Allatoona and places like that it's hard to try and fly fish cause of the trees hanging over the water.

Redneck,

Maybe Jim is joking but I am SERIOUS. Yea, right.

What I was saying about the shops is that they can give you info on where to fish.

It is hard to fish the big lakes from shore. You either have trees or they property is owned by someone and they will not let you fish. Most of the marinas have boat rentals and can get you a map of the lake and steer you in the right direction.

Alatoona has some great hybrid and land locked striper fishing. Come Spring, let me know and I will set something up and we can go.

Another good lake is Jackson over around Covington. That is the neck of the woods that I am from and there is some good hybrid and striper fishing there too.

Remind me in the Spring and once the fish are running, I know a couple of places that we can fish from docks. How's that?

Gotta go.

Redneck, since Joe has offered to help get you on the water for some fly flinging, maybe he can also help you with some fly tackle selections & casting!

I just got done posting my thoughts about your question regarding baitcasting & fly tackle.

Even with fly tackle, there's different sizes for different needs. Joe has a lot of experience with fly tackle, so his advice on selecting a good rod or outfit that best suits your needs would be invaluable. wink.gif