Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
redneck

Anybody here use baitcast equipment for bass?

I know that this is a fly fishing forum, but I also enjoy fishing for bass with baitcast equipment, my favorite baitcaster being the Curado. How do you guys feel about baitcast verses fly fishing for bass? I'm just getting into fly fishing and I want to know how fly fishing compared to more baitcast. As of now I'm trying to save up for a good fly rod, and before I go out and spend a lot I want to know the comparison of baitcast and fly.

Another thing, what are some good fly rods to get for bass, like I said before I am saving up for one and I want to get one that's going to do me some good. Any replies will be greatly appreciated, Redneck.

Redneck you really cant compare different methods of fishing in my opinion,i love fly fishing and have been doing it for almost 15 years and that will always be my prefered method of fishing.

To clearify what i mean by saying you cant compare methods i dont mean that fly fishing is so superior to bait casting what i mean is each individual person has their own feelings for different methods,one may say that fly fishing is superior the other will say bait/spin is his favorite so its just a matter of what you enjoy.

Once you get into flyfishing and if you stick with it you will understand the deep passion that alot of us have for it and why,its a very traditional way to catch a fish and also the most rewarding mentally in my opinion.

In certian situations it is a more productive way to present your offering to a fish and at the same time there are times when bait/spin fishing will be more productive.

If you are wanting to start fly fishing then that is great and i hope you enjoy it as much as we do but dont put your baitcaster in storage as soon as you get the fly rod,its best to start working on using the fly rod for awhile and if you grow tired or frustated with fly casting initially then pull the baitcaster out for the rest of the day.

As far as what is a good fly rod for some one your age that is trying to save his own money for their first rod i would suggest you look at cortland rods because they are a decent rod for the beginner and they are also very affordable. You can get a 6/7 or 7/8wt cortland rod for about $60-80 and it will be all the rod you need for quite awhile,then after you decide if you do enjoy fly casting and you have a bit more money you can step up to the little more expensive rods like sage,scott,winston,etc.....

Hope this helps you out.

SD

Redneck, I have to agree with what SD has said, comparisons are mostly a personal opinion. You have to keep in mind that any method has limits, so as far as fly tackle goes for bass, don't expect the same type of results as you might get with baitcasting tackle, especially since you're just getting into the fly fishing. It will take time! This is not to say you can't catch decent bass with fly tackle, because you can, but fly tackle will limit how deep you can fish, how big the flies will be, and how far you can cast with it, so you will have to adjust your idea of success to the tackle.

I use fly, baitcasting & spinning tackle. I enjoy fly tackle the most, but there are always times when I choose to use other tackle. Sometimes it's just because I want to, or sometimes it's because the conditions are more favorable for other tackle, or less favorable for fly tackle, depending on how you choose to look at it.

I've caught some real nice bass on flies, and in some tough places but the largest I've caught have been on other tackle. I know what the limits of the fly tackle I use are, and use it accordingly. The more you use it, like the baitcaster, the better you should get as long as you take the time, and have the patience to learn to use the fly tackle correctly.

In my opinion fly tackle requires a higher degree of skill, and dedication to master the technique than the other methods, so it's hard to compare it to other methods.

I also agree about the Cortland rods! My first rod was a Cortland, but there are some other good, reasonably priced outfits sold by other companies as well. Reddington, Cabelas, and even Bass Pro have some nice outfits.

i love to fly fish for bass but unfortunately i tend to catch bigger bass on my spinning gear there are times when you won't be able to present a fly to a bass when you can spinning gear

I bought a baitcaster 5 years ago and still can't figure out how to use the darn thing!!!

I do spin and fly fish, and each has it's place. There are times when the thrill of watching a float (that has a minnow or 'crawler under it) get sucked under is beyond happiness. Other times when you use a plastic jig and can feel every nuance of the bottom, and really picture what it looks like. Fly fishing, for me, is the closest thing to being a part of the environment. I can't really say why for sure, but maybe it's the comparatively slow pace. Then, there's the thrill of catching a fish on the fly you tied, yet this can be shared by someone who makes or pours his own lures.

This year was a fly year for me, I did almost no spin-fishing. Last year was more a lure year for me. The year before, I used bait more than anything else. I always tie flies, though.

My advice? Do them all! There is no reason not to. You'll find times when one outperforms the other, and you'll find yourself with a preference. Until then, just enjoy it all. Except on some streams, there is rarely a place where I do better numbers-wise with fly than lure, but the pleasure of catching on the fly rod is, for me, unparalleled.

A six weight fly rod is good for most bass fishing. If you focus mostly on Bass though, I'd say get a six weight and an 8 weight rod, so that you can be prepared for most circumstances. As far as the brand, my only opinion is to go for a big name rod. Orvis, St. Croix, stuff like that. They make proven quality rods, and almost all of them have a lifetime replacement gurantee. (Read the fine print!)

Alot of good advice already. Let me echo the recommendation of a 6/7wt or 7/8wt rod if bass is your game. Lighter rods will work too, but you need the heavier line to carry the size flies you'll need to use for bass.

Your post says you are just getting into it and you're saving for a good rod. Do you already have a starter rod, or borrowing one? If so and you are asking about the next step up, we might not be answering your question very well. Honestly, I have never spent more than $100 for a rod (until yesterday, but that hasn't arrived yet) so if you want input on nicer rods, the other guys will need to give that info. Is that what you are looking for?

My nephew just got a baitcaster for Christmas and his mom told him that Uncle Dave (me) can help him with it. Unfortunately, I've never cast one in my life! blink.gif Personally, I am more intimidated by them than I was by fly gear.

Hey Lunk, I'm looking for a starting rod/reel. I want to get one that's fairly decent rather than getting a cheap one. I don't wanna get a cheap one then get a decent one and have to learn all over with one that will cast good. That's what happened to me with baitcase equipment: went with a cheap reel and it broke so I got a good one and had to learn how to fish with a good baitcast reel. If I can come up with the money, I would like to get something that isn't too extreme yet it is still good.

You can get away with inexpensive Fly Fishing gear. Look to the combo sets were line/backing is included.

If your looking to target warm water fish, look for a reel with a disc drag. Fly Fishing is versatile, you can change lines or size of flies to adapt to a scenario.

Baitcasters are a different story. You would be hard pressed to find a decent reel for under $100.00.

Then you have to find a matching rod. Are you going to use it for spinner baits, jigs, buzzbaits ...?

Different baits can call for different retrieval speeds 5:1, or 6:1 etc.

You would end up with one rod and reel with limited applications.

Before you decide which one to buy. Sit down and try picking a birds nest out of a baitcaster. wallbash.gif baby.gif devil.gif

I would not recommend these to a beginner.

Hey J. Johnson, I'm pretty well adapted to a baitcaster, and you are right, you will be very lucky to get a good one for under 100 bucks. One thing a buddy of mine does is order Curados off of E-Bay and does any maintenance that they need. So far he hasn't spent more than 70 bucks per reel and none of them needed repairing, they were as good as new. Actually, I have one that he purchased myself and it is sweet. I have a Curado 200B5 5:1 and a Curado 200B super free 6.2:1. Both of them are very nice reels. THe 200B5 is on a custom rod a buddy of mine gave me and the super free is on a 6'6 MH BPS rod.

Ebay is certainly the place to look for equipment, but you do have to be careful about shipping charges. I've seen some great prices, only to find the shipping over inflated.

I've bought 3 new Abu Garcia Ambassadeur reels on Ebay for $33.00 each, which is a pretty good price, and work very well for my purposes.

Often there's some good deals on good quality fly rods & reels too!