Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peddler

Digital fly pics

I have a chance to get a new digital camera and I think there are two requirements that I'd like, waterproofness (izzat a word?) and enough close up focusing capability to shoot flies. The camera I have now only goes down to 8". Not close enough without a lot of editing and even then...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a water resistant digital camera that'll shoot flies?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas

Olympus D-560 is a great camera for all around use

I have an older Olympus that I use for both a vest pocket camera when I am fishing and Flies its more or less the same as the 560 but with less mega pic's.

Very weather resistant because the body slides together to cover the lens

and it won't cost a arm and a leg you can get it for under 250.00

check my photos in the gallery and you will see that the Olympus fits the needs of most any fly tier and fisherman

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=30016

user posted image

Hey OSD, I have an Olympus D-490 but every attempt I made at photographing flies didn't work. They turned out either fuzzy or too small to really see. If I'm missing something and this camera will work I know I can find other ways to spend my Christmas winning! What settings do you use? My D-490 says macro to 8". That sure doesn't seem like macro to me.

Thanks for responding!

That’s a great camera

It looks like you need to learn how to use it

You know if you depress the button half way down that it will automatically focus on the object in the center of the viewing area right?

Once you do that as long as the camera doesn’t move it will be in focus then take the picture make sure to hold your camera steady a tripod may be necessary for real small flies.

Make sure you have plenty of lighting as the camera's flash will make shadows if no other lights are used to give back ground light.

8 inches is plenty close for macro focus if you need it any closer use the zoom

I know you can get great pictures with that camera because I have one that is not as good as yours a D-460 zoom

user posted image

Any photo software will let you crop, zoom and correct the lighting but none can help you with the focus.

Good luck

OSD.

Here's my first samples with the new camera.

Thanks for all the input guys but I made a friend a deal on the Oly and broke down and got the Pentax for its size and quick macro ability and because its supposed to be water resistant.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Aw shoot! After posting I see my pics got shrunk. Seems I have my work cut out for me!

QUOTE (Peddler @ Dec 25 2003, 11:58 AM)
Hey OSD, I have an Olympus D-490 but every attempt I made at photographing flies didn't work. They turned out either fuzzy or too small to really see. If I'm missing something and this camera will work I know I can find other ways to spend my Christmas winning! What settings do you use? My D-490 says macro to 8". That sure doesn't seem like macro to me.
Thanks for responding!

i use that camera, make sure you use the flash. if i dont use the flash the flies looks pretty blurry

Peddler

Yes Macro from 8 inches is fine.

You must remember that you have a zoom also which will bring your fly close enough so you can see every hair very clearly

Let me walk you through the steps for taking good close ups of flies with your camera. (I know it can be done because I am using near the same camera)

First let’s talk about your camera

You have an Olympus 490 Like to the one in the picture below, Right?

Ok let’s talk about focusing on the shutter button labeled C in the picture below

There are two positions half way depressed and full depressed.

Half way depressed will automatically focus on whatever is in the center of the viewing area.

Full depressed will take the picture.

Now lets us talk about the macro focus labeled A on the picture below

When your is on and ready to take a picture this button will activate the macro mode

This will be displayed on the viewing screen on the back of your camera as a small flower in the top left hand corner of the screen.

The zoom button is the one I labeled B it moves back and forth to zoom or get wide angle pictures

(Pull it back and it zooms – push it forward and it zooms out for wide angle pictures)

Now let’s try to take a nice close up picture of a fly.

Put the fly in your vise then put a piece of white poster board behind the vise as a background that will not detract attention away form the main subject (the fly)

Get yourself something steady to put your camera on a tri pod is the best but a pile of books will do.

Position your camera on the tripod or pile of books so that the camera lenses is about even with the fly and about 10-12 inches away.

Make sure you have some lighting other than the camera flash, fixed on the fly and the back ground poster board so the flash will not produce too many shadows.

(Make sure the extra lights are not fixed on the camera’s lenses)

Turn on the camera and position it the way I just described.

Flip up and turn on the flash turn on the macro setting and make sure the fly is in the center of the viewing screen about 12 inches away form the lenses.

Zoom in until you get the closeness you’re looking for in the picture.

Now depress the shutter button half way down to have the camera auto focus on the fly

You will hear a noise but the flash will not go off (the camera just auto focused)

Now depress the shutter button all the way down for the picture.

If the camera stayed steady you should have a good picture.

(Also make sure your lenses is clean before taking any pictures)

user posted image