Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Blue winged olives

In michigan the most common hatch of mayflies I can think of is Blue winged olives. They are pretty much on the water at all times of the year, In sizes from 14 down to 24. My question is, what pattern do you favor for a bwo dun? I am thinking a catskill style dry, with hackle tip or winger wings. Buy I am not sure what color wings, I would use med dun for the hackle, should I use med , light or dark dun wings?

John headbang.gif

I tie them in different styles.

The larger sizes I tye them Catskill with, light dun tail and hackle.

Smaller, sizes I prefer a Compardun style. Hackling a small fly is frustrating.

Besides, I think I have better success with the Compardun. To make the Compardun I like a darker dun than I do for Catskill.

I have tied them parachute style as well, they don't seem to like it as well as the Compardun. I don't know why, both ride low in the water. dunno.gif

Mico fibets make great tailing on smaller flies

I have noticed a difference in color depending on time of the season.

Winter,early spring light colored. As the season progress and the BWO are larger, a darker dun color works best.

All my winter BWO are 18/ 20/ 22's. I dont care if they are blaze orange. I have to watch for the ring before I set the hook.

Here in SE MN I tie BWO's mainly in size 18 and I use everything from black hackle to medium dun, it really makes no difference. I also tie a CDC bwo and I usually use yellow or beige cdc.

hds

Most of the BWO's that i use on the Au Sable are med dun and size 16-20

i have used some #14 but the only thing they have fooled are very small rainbows.

I really havent messed around with the colors to much yet as i'm still tryin to get the hang of tying the smaller trout drys,but med dun has worked well for me on the 16's

SD

Olive body, Light dun hackle, and dun tips for wings Light dun hackle barbles for tailing down to size #14- 18. seams to work best

I use poly dubbing for the body sometimes I mix the hackle with a grizzly and light dun for the larger size #14

I will get a picture up later

Good luck

OSD.

Ok steeldrifter , that was what i was thinking size wise. And i justthink that i should use med dun, ligt seems to light for me. What do you use for wings?

john

Have any of you guys tried the cut poly wings for the BWO? i'm not sure thats exactly what its called dunno.gif but i think it is.

I have some i got from a orvis shop last year and never tried them....i'll tryin get a pic of one up so you can see what i'm talkin about if i called it by the wrong name.

SD