Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Edu Bechtold

Hello from Argentina

Hi people!!!

I was surfing trought the web and found this forum!!

I am writing from Argentina (thats South America), so please excuse my poor english...

I would like to make a question: I am traveling to the USA for a bussiness trip on February to Frt Lauderdale. Are there good spots to go fly fishing? what kind of fish species?

Any tip will be handy...

Thanks for all,

Eduardo

Welcome to the group! There are members that are from the south and will be able to help you with fish and flys to take with you. Oh and your english is just fine! :D

I hope you get this in time. The easiest to access are Largemouth Bass and Peacock Bass. Not to mention Bluegills, Oscars, and Tilapia. Those 3 species are just about EVERYWHERE in Ft. Lauderdale. Jump around from Canal to Canal and Pond to Pond and you're bound to find a little of both. Or go to the Bass Pro Shop in Dania Beach. They'll be able to direct you.

Mullet patterns will catch both Peacock Bass and Largemouth. Tie up some general baitfish patterns that have a good amount of flash (at least 3 inches long; I used 4 inch-5 inch jerkbaits for 'em). Gold works well, in addition to other gaudy colors (chartreuse and orange). Bring a few crawfish patterns too (A little lobster looking thing if you're not familiar with it; Also known as a Crawfish, Crayfish, Crawdad, etc...). The Largemouth LOVE those. 8wt is best, because those Peacocks are STRONG, and the bigger streamers are better on a 8wt anyways. A 6wt will get you by, though. Remember to fish 'em fast and if a Peacock Bass strikes, keep casting to it. Most of the time you'll end up hooking it. They're MEAN and VERY territorial. If you're lucky, you might even hook into a small (30-40 pound) Tarpon.

Bring a 4wt-5wt and some nymphs and small streamers for some Bluegill, Tilapia, and Oscars.

Oh, and the Sailfish, King Mackerel, and Dorados might still be down there too during February. Not quite fly fishing, but battling one of those things is fun nonetheless. Any Saltwater guide down there will work.