Fly Tying
flounder

intruder

when bad things happen to good flies....

tried a few new things on this one. though i still like the general concept, i'm not pleased with the end result. just wanted to post before she gets the razor.

Your idea was good, execution not so good. Maybe black hackles as the wing and the married slips as the shoulder? :dunno:

Try imagining it with the hook bend starting somewhere near the forward (top) egdge of the last wrap of tinsel (rib). I see a lot of flies where people try to force a pattern to a longer hook, meaning they probably decided that they were going to use a particular hook (size), but didn't have the length of materials (wing especially) to pull it off. If you have an idea of the max wing size/length you can tie, then you can select a hook that fits.

And, you might try getting rid of a little bit of that nonsense at the rear. We can't all be Bud Guidry. :)

Chris is right about the tail thingy on this fly. The Jock Scott not withstanding, you most certainly can over dress a fly and I think a tip and tag on a streamer is overkill.