Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Hard

A few insects

Saturday was one nice day. I could not resist, taking out the Fund Raiser Action Rod to give it a try. I also took out a reel I had got through the trading post forum here. I walked down the side of the river until I found a big windfall and used the tree as a place to set up my rod. I have a small pocket watch, with a thermometer, so I hung this on a branch to check the temperature. I also have a water thermometer that I tied to my line. I took my line and tossed it into the river and then directed it beside the bank in a small eddy. I let it sit there for a bit. Then checked to see it was bottomed out, so I could no get a good reading. I had a look at my other thermometer and saw it was 9.9. I let it sit there for a few more minutes as I fixed up my line with a size 6 mikey finn. The tempature had climbed just like that 10.5 then 10.6. Celcius. I decided to fish with a smaller streamer that what I normaly would, and alot slower. I readched a bend where I usually stop and walk arround some busshes and trees. We call this place Wino hollow,

IPB Image

I will show another photo of this area and a few more insect photos. This area is warm,sheltered, and gets the sun all day. I found these insects. here and am not realy sure what they are. IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

There were also two sizes of spiders, here is the smaller one,

http://www.flytyingforum.com/uploads/galle...e7dd4f2d999.jpg. I will add another post of Wino Hollow where you will see the side hill, free of snow and some more photos of insects

It's in the air, I can smell it! Can't you? Smells like SPRING! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Here is a look facing Wino Hollow from down river. You can see that the snow is gone on the side off the hill. IPB Image

Here is a couple of pics of some of the insects I found and took home to get a better shot.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

And the fund raiser rod in actionIPB Image

I know these pictures are hard to see, but could anyone help identify any of these insects?

Daryn-

Please don't be offended, but given the focus and/or resolution of the photographed macro-invertebrates, positive identification is problematic. It looked (to me) like a cranefly and perhaps a sowbug on the snow, but I would be just guessing. Hope this helps, but don't try to take it to the bank (horrid pun, that).