Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
deeky

Synthetic Tying Materials

Posted this in another forum, thought I'd throw it out here too:

I understand the traditional arguement of fly anglers against 'plastics' on their line. But with the new synthetic materials that are out and in the most popular patterns, I see it as about the same, other than trying to rebel against that guy in the other boat.

But, particularly in the panfish arena, all of the talk about small plastics seems to be around the slow fall and natural swim of the bait. With that goal in mind, the fly rod would seem to give us an advantage over spin/cast fishermen in that we don't need the heavy leadhead to cast plastics out there. We can simply put the plastic where we want it and fish it as close to neutral bouyancy as possible.

Makes sense on paper, anyone tried it? I agree, there's nothing like catching a great fish on a fly you tied yourself, but are we limiting ourselves? Imagine one of those great little minnow style jerk baits or one of the finess rat tail plastics just hanging mid-column, free of the ball and chain of the lead head.

Don't worry, I haven't fallen of the wagon and under the wheels trying this yet. Let me know what you think.

Deeky

For me personally, I don't want my flies to become too much like plastics and hard lures. Having said that let me say that I don't mind tossing a 1/4 inch grub on a fly rod once in a while, but speaing generally, I like having a clear line between one and the other in every day usage. Makes me feel like I'm accoomplishing more in learning more than one discipline.

Marabou gives a slow sink and when paired with micro chenille could give you a super slow sink rate along with the action of the marabou.

I'll be the first to say "to each their own" and I would have no problem with somebody casting soft plastics with a fly rod. Hell, if you want to catch a ton of gills throw on some worms and cast it out there with no split show and just let it fall...fish every cast, guaranteeed! LOL.

Seriously, I'd say go for it if you want to experiment and report on how well it works for ya.

I see your point deeky, but like luvinbluegills I find that I can get the same action from materials like marabou, antron, etc. To each their own.

I don't mind synthetic materials, but a plastic grub is where I draw the line. But that is just my own point of view. I rairly use plastics in conventional fishing so why would I use it in flyfishing?

I always thought that soft plastic baits were the best a spin fisherman could do to imitate a fly fisherman - going backwards is kind of like de-evolution.

To each there own, but if my choice was between a sluggo or a baitfish pattern like a deceiver I would always choose the deceiver - its a gentler more natural presentation, works at rest, and completely customizable.

Did any one see the article were a bass tournament guy is using a fly on a drop shot rig? Could care less about the article except it made it out like the guy invented fly tying.

I must say that i agree with Sean Jun. and my point of view is that fly fishing is a tradition and should stay that way. if im gonna fish plastics it will be with my spinning outfit and not my fly rod, but thats just me :dunno: :)