Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ladykiller

Madonna

Two things!

You are obsessed with galloup streamers

You pack a nice deer hair head, and do good trimming.

John

Guest Ladykiller

Lol, would you like me to stop posting these streamers? I wouldn't anyways!!! Galloup flies work damn well. I got more though soon that are different.

Anyways, yeah, I do a great job on deer hair. I've got an order of 55 dozen flies to tie right now. 30 dozen rattlesnakes, 15 dozen madonnas, 10 dozen zonkers ... whew.

Stop posting the galloup streamers? NO WAY MAN keep them coming,every streamer i have seen you post so far is on the mega trout menu wink.gif

You do a awsome job with streamers LK headbang.gif

SD

Absolutely do not stop posting them, This fly database is quickly becoming a great reference tool. How long does it take you to tie a rattlesnake? Do you make the tandem rigs up before tying the actual materials on?>

John

Guest Ladykiller

John,

I tie roughly 6 to 12 Rattlesnakes an hour. It's hard to give a good number though since I'll put on all the coneheads first, then snell all the hooks, then put all the beads on, then cut all the zonkers to length. Once I got all of these matertials ready, I'll assemble the fly. I also cut the deer hair off all at once too. I've got a batch of 360 of these flies to tie, so I break it up into steps like that. Makes it hard to tell the actual rate.

Right now, on one of those Madonnas, I can make the whole fly in three and a half minutes.

Guest Ladykiller

Uncletube,

How good are you at tying stonefly nymphs? I'm looking to get some of these tied Giant Stonefly and some other stonefly patterns. If you can post some pics if you tie these, maybe we can work out a trade.

I also added some extra pictures tonight. Check out the awesome coloring on these lazer-striped bunny zonker strips.

user posted image

user posted image

Tim

p.s You guys can thank Ralf (aka, Shoe on this site) for getting me to where I am at in my tying skills. He bought a few hundred dollars worth of flies from me over the years and I've reinvested all of that into more materials and better tools. I appreciate all the other help ($$, tips, skills, advice) other's have given me throughout the years as well. So hear I am repaying my debt sortof by passing it on to others. I also give out free flies for testing/sampling from time to time to guys like Ralf who have helped me.

Tim,

Your flies are a bargain at twice the price.

After a long absence in the fly arena and a cash windfall I decided to jump in with both feet. Back then my time was devoted to chasing salmon, browns and steel on the big water. It took a few trips with you and others to finally get hooked (again). Trolling became secondary. (My boat didn't even hit the water last year dunno.gif cool.gif ) Something about the "ever changing scenery" of floating a river. I don't miss the blow days and sitting at the dock waiting for the lake to lay down and the bitter cold when the wind came off the lake

Look at me now. 6 long rods later, 2 driftboats, a pontoon, a new vise, a suitcase full of feathers and a healthy appetite to travel, tie and fish new waters. It's all your fault. crying.gif See what YOU did?? If I end up in divorce court, I hope I can count on you for a portion of the legal fees. help.gif

Thanks wink.gif (I think)

Those look great Tim. I'm a big fan of Galloups streamers too. Been tying Galloups Craw lately. Saw it on TV a few weeks back, figure it should work great this summer. smile.gif

Mike

Awesome job on the streamers Ladykiller!!

You and I tie many of the same flies (though I do it for just myself and a few friends) and I love looking at how your flies are similar to mine and how on other parts we do things a little different.

Not to nick-pick, just to give credit to where it's due, the Madonna and Rattlesnake are Ray Schmidt patterns (runs Schmidt Outfitters in Wellston, MI...very, very nice guy, very concerned w/ conservation and always willing to help). But him and Galloup are good friends and I guess when Galloup was doing the book he bounced a lot of ideas off of Ray.

Have you ever tied or fished McCune's Sculpin? If you like big streamers, that one's awesome. Post if you'd like the recipe (don't know how to post a picture on the computer).

Again, great job. Keep bringing them.

Derek

tim,

you do a hell of a job with hair. how do you get is to neat?? i can never get mine to comeout like that. they look more like a fly with a bad hair day!

any tips you can give for trimming deer hair?

Guest Ladykiller

tips for deer hair .... watch someone who's good at it, there is too much to explain, and you have to make sure you get the right deer hair in the first place. not all deer hair is alike.

a great tip though is to use double edge shaving razors to trim and shape.