Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vtflyhack

Mass show

Did anyone attend the Show In Mass this weekend? I was suppose to go, couldnt make it. How did it compare to the Marboro show?

Yeh, I went. Spent some time introducing myself to Muzzy, who was tying. Also met Josh macDonald, who is a "young kid" from Maine who was tying Salmon flies, and is now a columnist for Fly Tyer magazine

Josh MacDonald.

Spent some time at seminars, listening to Ed Lombardo (prof. URI) on soft-hackle dry flies, and Mike Martinek on famous flies by famous guys --his collection of flies and info about the tyers.

Vendors were fewer than last year--seems like the trend--perhaps they are not getting much ROI, or the exhibit booth prices are too high.

The Fly Tying competition was good. Ran into Anton and Edward Rist, a couple of yound upstarts in the Salmon fly world. They are 16 and 18?? and are amazing. I had met them in Danbury in November. They have been taking lessons with Paul Rossman, and many others, and have a lot of talent. Interestingly, neither of them fly fishes!

I bought Rob Romano's new book on the Rangeley region, and had him sign it. It's good reading.

-E

I was there for a few hours, it was pretty fun. I liked the marlboro show much better because there seemed to be more seminars and presentations. Not as many vendors either. It would have been nice seeing someone with a good selection of waders for sale, my mom was looking for a pair and there were no bootfoots to be found. On a high note, I did get a mass of fly tying stuff from Cote's for like 12 bucks, and looking at whats it the bag it's unbelievable. Also, the guy with the kayaks and grey raddisson canoe convinced my dad to buy a one man canoe :headbang: . So now we have a new toy coming tomarrow. Overall, it was a good time, well worth the price of admission and the hour drive.

Cheers,

Mr. Jingles