Fly Tying
Danoinark

Patridge Soft Hackle Throat

I am having a heck of a time tying a beard on a fly using soft hackle..similar to the picture...any tips or a tutorial out there somewhere? Thanks....Dano

IPB Image

You can cut out the tip(center) and create a v shape. put the head into the v shape, and then wrap it down. You can better control the length as well.

The other thing you may want to try is to tie it in by the tip, and srtip of the fibers on the side that will be touvhing the shank. 2 wraps and tie it off. Similar to http://copperfly.net/greenmeanie.php but with partridge and make it more sparse.

I'm sure you already know this one, but...

A single wrap of partridge (maybe two to get the fullness indicated in the picture) tyed in relatively close to the eye; a wrap or two of thread rearward over the hackle stem to hold it in place; pluck the fibres off the dorsal surface of the fly with a pair of good tweezers; and then slowly bring the thread rearward while stroking down the remaining fibres to create a nice neat head... et voila!.

A very traditional method that still works well.

Aaron

Dano, you might also try tying the beard forward toward hook eye then folding it down and back,just check length befor ya tie it in.It works well for me.

Dano,

I agree (mostly) with Aaron. The fly depicted almost certainly has had the partridge wrapped as a collar, not fibers tied in as a beard.

While one can use tweezers to pluck away some of the barbs on top, it is really the wingcase pulled over top of hackle collar, which has produced the separation. Simply split the collar with your fingers by stroking the barbs off to either side, and pull over the wingcase and tie down.

Cheers,

Hans W

Dano,

I agree (mostly) with Aaron. The fly depicted almost certainly has had the partridge wrapped as a collar, not fibers tied in as a beard.

While one can use tweezers to pluck away some of the barbs on top, it is really the wingcase pulled over the top which has produced the separation. Simply split the collar with your fingers by stroking the barbs off to either side, and pull over the wingcase and tie down.

Cheers,

Hans W

Good eye, Hans. I missed that.

(It's nice to see that you "agree (mostly)" with me though--I think that has to be a first ;) )

Aaron

Gents, thanks to all for the suggestions...and Hans I believe you are right on....I probably would never have thought about that...Dano