Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

???

i went to sportsmans warehouse the other day and i saw a fly pole and reel combo for $50.i think it was made by silver streams?has anyone heard of this brand?and if u have is it a good brand?

Good Day,

I have not heard of this brand. however, there are a lot more manufactureres out there that make a great rod for the money. Both Courtland and Temple Fork come to mind.

CJ

Never heard of that brand before, but that doesn't mean it's not a good combo.

As with anything you will get all kind of replies on what folks think you should buy. Get the best that you can afford. Fly fishing and fly tying is expensive if you let it get that way.

For $100.00 I have gotten alot of folks started with a Sientific Angler combo w/ lines and the basic essentials.

I still fish with the SA combo and will for a long time and I think it's as good of a rod as any of the big name brands.

I'm gonna have to reccomend the Bass Pro Shops White River rods. Very good quality at an almost unbeatable price. Also with a one year warranty.

~Bryce

It's surprising how inexpensively you can get a decent combo these days. I do find though that fly fishing is one of those areas (rods and reels) that you get what you pay for, and as the price increases so do the perks. At the same time, my favorite combo was $30 from Sears! The drag busted a year after I got it, but I still really like using it.

I think that combo is made by cortland. My brother got one of these to start out with and it was like a broomstick. it was a 3pc 8'6" model the thing was THICK and the reel was very loud and clicky. also they don't give enough backing to even fill 1/4 of the spool including the line. I got a nice SA combo at walmart for aboot 60 bucks it is much nicer than the silver stream.