Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Thread Control

Class! There will be a quiz on this material Friday. Anyone absent will not be allowed to make up the quiz!

I operate this way as a matter of course; have done so forever. I guess I never paid much attention to DOING so until I mentioned it in a tieing session, when one interested party asked “why do you spin the bobbin like that...?”

I’d begun to write my own treatise on thread control and such; I figured I’d screw something up and have to go back and explain it again; I went looking for one clarification for my data before I printed my little tome- Then, I got lucky and found THIS!!! (attributions to the writers)

www.globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/threadtw.htm

The link even contains handy “teaching aids” – They did it way better than I could have in a short time!

So, That’s your homework for the day!

Dave, those are nice articles you linked to. I can really relate to the thread control problems. Some history is needed to explain.

As a young teenager I was given a rudimentary flytying kit that contained maybe 6 pages of instructions on how to tie. I proceeded to teach myself to tie lefty (I'm righthanded). The kit then got forgotten due to the pursuits of wine, woman & song until I got started in flyfishing ~ 15 years ago and got the shock of how many flys I could lose in a day. So I started tying flys, still lefty which I did till last spring.

This fall I started to "unlearn" tying with the wrong hand, and switched to tying righty. Why you might ask, to increase my productivity because it was always a couple of extra manipulations to tie in materials.

So far there have been two areas that gave me real problems, whip finishing which I eventually powered through, and thread control. What I've realized is that steps which tying lefty twisted the thread tighter loosen it tying righty. It took a lot of flys to realize what was going on.

thread control cmae to me as naturally as breathing, BUT positioning materials on the hook and thier proportins are what still give me fits! I did learn a few things from the article, though and plan on giving them a try this evening!

Sign in to follow this