Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Mustad is screwing up Partridge...

definetly not the same model...can't find mine now, but they were a standard heavy wire hook....I will have to keep looking..I know I have a few somewhere! smile.gif

Gregor, that hook you mentioned 3261BLN, is that a black nickel hook? I was told that Mustad basically offers the black nickel finish on premium grade hooks. That hook is hardly a high grade model. I've also been told that they have some hooks they sell in different areas of the world, that are not sold in the USA. Just curious if that may be the case.

Ive used the 3261BR which is that same hook in a bronzed finish, and is mostly used here for panfish. It's fine for smaller fish but it's not strong enough for Salmon or Steelhead of any size.

Chris, If you find that hook model let me know. Mustad has some hooks that are heavy wire, but aren't forged, or made of a high grade metal and probably not strong enough to handle a big Steelhead or King Salmon.

could be Jim...could have been my own undoing by using that style of hook...certainly looked like it would have held a big fish....been swamped with a few projects and haven't been at the bench for a few days...will try to find it tonight thinking it was something like a 9467 heavy wire or something like that..was a streamer hook 3x shank, heavy wire

Bummer news!!! bs.gif I use the Carrie Stevens streamer hooks , I looked forever before I found hooks to do her patterns on ! Looks like the Tube is gonna have to start searchin' again! help.gif

Tube

UT,

I've found a substitute for the Carrie Stevens hooks. The Gaelic Supreme "Mike Martinek Rangeley Style" hooks. The come in 6x and 8x long versions. Hunter's has them for 11.95 for a 25 pack.

BD, that's a fine streamer hook for trout or bass, but not strong enough to handle a big Salmon. Next time you should try either a 36717, which is a similar style & length hook, but much stronger, or a 7970, which is also a similar style but a little shorter, and stronger. Both hooks are very popular as Steelhead & Salmon hooks. wink.gif

Had any of you problems with rust on Partridge hooks? dunno.gif

I'm thinking that is no worth buying hooks that rust so fast as Patridge, and are threetimes expenciver than Tiemco or Hayabusa. It is true that it is hand made, but still.

IT IS THAT DAMNED CORROSION mad.gif

All hooks will rust to some degree, even stainless. I've never had any problems with Partridge.

Are you talking about them rusting after you get them wet, or just while sitting in the package?

I've had some Mustad & Eagle Claw hooks rust in the package, mostly bronzed hooks, and some nickel plated too. These were hooks that I had for many years.

I have occasionally had hooks rust after use, and was mostly my own fault for not drying them properly before I put them back in my fly boxes.

Depending on the conditions where you fish, warmer water, or saltwater will accelerate the rusting problem, and I suspect that certain waters, which may be more acidic will also cause them to rust faster. Some of the waters I fish are a combination of tidal brackish waters (salt) & are very tannic. Hooks will rust easily that I use in those waters if I don't dry them carefully & even then they may still rust.

I don't think the cost has anything to do with the rusting problem, but you're right, if you get better results with other brands then you shouldn't use the Partridge hooks, especially if they cost you more!