Fly Tying
down2earthlv

Eastern Sierra Flys

I'm looking to put together a list of the top 15+ flys for the eastern sierras....if you have a bonafide proven pattern, or if you have contacts in the area that have patterns, Please let me know about them. I'm compiling many many suggestions together and I will select the top 15+ most common, reoccurring patterns. Be sure to include size and color specifications, or even a recipie and picture! It is possible that this may go into production, but I'll keep quiet about that for now..... Thanks for all your help! (should this project reach production, FTF will definitely be honored within the book!!)

Stimulator

It cleaned up the last time we fished the Kern in the Golden Trout Wilderness - this may be High Sierra's don't know what you're using for a geographical cut-off

Elk hair caddis

Parachute Adams

Black Wooly Worm/Wooly Bugger

I just came back from Glacier Lodge area and the best flys right now are an X Caddis, Black BH Wolly Bugger, CDC Caddis, and Mayfly patterns. I was catching rainbows as fast as I could cast.

Trailing a Griffith Gnat about 18" behind a Parachute Adams, or Elk Hair Caddis, worked well for me late last summer! :headbang:

Great topic!! I'd love to hear what the rest of the group has to share!!

Rich -

I am primarily a trout fisherman.

I fish locally at Laguna Niguel Lakefrom Nov to April. I try to get out, at least once a year (around the 4th of July), in the Shaver Lake area, and Mammtoh Lakes, CA (normally Twin Lakes) around the Labor Day weekend. Other than those places, I try to get out whenever I travel out of town for business, (American River in Sacramento, CA, Lower Mountain Fork, in OK, etc.)

I've been fishin the Sierra for about 16 years, in the past 10 years mostly in the Bridgeport area, lakes and rivers. I have several fly boxes filled with flies I like to fish there. It really depends on the month of the year which patterns work best, as well as the flow rates. A variation of the Oliver Edwards stonefly does wonders on the E. Walker in October. Rootbear bead buggers and gray carpet scuds work great for the brookies at Kirman. Parachute emergers are great on the Lower Owens. Seal buggers and leeches are great on Bridgeport reservoir. Prince nymphs work just about everywhere, but I think a lot of it boils down to confidence and presentation, as much as fly selection.

I'm happy to see more Cali flyfishers here!!!!!

Graham

Thanks for your experienced input Graham, I'm well aware of the diverse array of flys needed in the sierras, I don't dare post a picture of the boxes I usually carry....lol I'm just trying to put together a list of most popular flys, just in general without much regards to season or specific water conditions. I know, I know, everyone will be able to say 'well what about.....'

You have a couple 14 years on me in the sierras, this has quickly become one of my favorite spots. I think my next trip out that way will be mid october, my buddy is co-hosting a 'cast and cook' (unrelated topics) seminar through Brock's Fly Fishing in Bishop. I think I'll be going to split the gas money, as I can't afford to attend the seminar...thats ok, I'd rather spend my time on the river anyway!