Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Sean Juan

Upper Conneticutt River

In a couple weeks I'm taking a week long trip to Pittsburg NH to fish the Upper CT River - this river section is a series of lakes and dams so even in August the water is very cold. The river holds rainbows, brookies, but the star attraction are the Landlocks and Monster Browns.

Just figured I'd ask what you guys wouldn't want to forget to tie...

Thanks

Sean

Sounds like you are going to be hitting the river at hopper time. I would also not rule out big streamers for the browns. Got access to a hatch chart for that area?

I don't know what the insect life is like on the upper Connecticut, but when I lived in landlock country (Western Maine) I had my best luck on the bigger salmon with streamers. My favorites were small (#8-#12) slim Lefty's deceivers tied in traditional New England streamer colors. (grey ghost, black ghost, supervisor, etc.) They also work on browns here on the Neversink - good luck up there - sounds like a great trip - wish I was going

Go to www.flyfishinginnh.com and ask some of the guys there what's hot. I fished that area years ago and had a bunch of fun. One of my first days there I got a brown, a brookie and a rainbow on consecutive drifts but never managed the landlocked that day. I also was wading a stretch of river and turned the corner and ended up face to face with a bull moose. That was interesting. :blink:

Mike

I fished with little 16 elk hair caddis's (tan w/ green bodies), royal wulffs in 12, 14, 16, streamers of various sorts. When they're biting, you could use pocket lint, and when they're not, enjoy the moose, they're everywhere! The few times I've been there's caddis hovering over the water. Beadhead nymphs work too if no surface action.

It's tailwater, so use neoprenes, or something other than shorts under your breathables, even in early August, water ranges from 55-65 degrees, higher if rain runoff heats up the water. Used to have water temp on the USGS site, but I think they dropped water temp this or last year.

It's a 4 hour drive North from me.

Easy to get the NH grand slam(Brown, Brookie, rainbow, landlock salmon), even if the Salmon are small in the rivers in the summer.

-E

It's a 4 hour drive North from me.

-E

Four hour drive... Sounds like the Hampton area maybe? I was stationed at Pease AFB for about 10 years when it was still active duty and I really miss that area. Pease was paradise as far as I was concerned.

Mike