Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Memquisit

Hook Styles?

As I look at the array of hooks at my local shop, I am confused by the sheer numbers of styles of hooks. I understand size, and nymph, streamer, dry fly hooks, etc. My confusion begins with 1x, 2x, etc.

What do all the numbers and letters mean? Thanks in advance.

They can mean a couple of things:

1x strong, 2x strong - If you see one of these on a package it has to do with the thickness of the wire. 2x strong means that the wire the hook is made out of is thicker than 1x strong. Since the wire is thicker the hook is a bit heavier in weight too.

2x long, 3x long, 4x long, etc... - these designations describe the length of the hook shank. 2x long means that the hook shank is 2 eye lengths (hook eye) longer than the standard size. The gape of the hook doesn't get bigger, only the shank gets longer. 4x long would be 4 eye lengths longer than standard.

I like 4x long streamer hooks for woolybuggers and sculpins and other streamers.

Frank

My understanding is that the size of the gape is actually how most companies roughly determine the size of the hook. There is no numbering system (like 1x long, etc.) to label the gape. Instead, use a larger size hook that is 1x short or more to get a wider gape.