Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sidako

stillwater anyone?

Oh, yeah! My favorite Smallmouth spot is on a Lake. I fish for a lot of Bluegills there too. Welcome to the site!

Just lookin' for others who may have more experience than I do (only 2 seasons in). For some reason wink.gif my wife figured I deserved a pontoon boat, sooooo

I have yet another reason to get out.

What sort of structure do you guys look for in the lake? Mostly dead trees, or more shoals and weed beds?

I don't own a boat, but I do rent them from time to time. I look for the usual suspects, with lily pads being my favorite first stop. Lily pads near a drop off are even better.

Points with wood in the water have never let me down. Coves are good. If you find a big weed bed on top of a hump, you could find almost anything, but I usually find that predators have control. Stump beds are another safe bet.

If you have a sinking line, find an old road bed that intersects some form of structure like trees, a railroad, a creek bed, or even weeds, and dredge it with something meaty, and work the mid to upper levels with a streamer. Toss a popper over it too, as a hungry bass will come from so deep it always surprises me!

I fish a fare amount of still water for trout, bass and bluegill. I look for all kinds of structure from logs and trees to weeds. Catch all my gills and bass around the weeds for the most part. High lakes usually don't have much for weeds but plenty of downed logs which is where the brookies tend to be hiding. I fish from shore sometimes but prefer to be out in my float tube if I'm not 5 miles back.

Jim

I fish sometimes on little lakes for rainbows, carp, chub and somtimes pike.

I mostly use Sage GFL #6 RPL and DT5F line. But what kind of fly do I tie on depends of the species I want to catch. For trout and chub my favourites are brown wooly bugger on hook nr. 2-10, and damsel nymphs. For carp I use mostly glo bug, and for pike different streamers, like scuplins and leech patterns tied from zonker strips...