Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TimR

Streams?

We are planning on taking a trip to Eastern Tennessee this summer to try some trout fishing and I was gunna take my fly rod. This is my first time going trout fishing so any advice on what type flys to use and all would be appreciated.-Tim

Are you going to be in the Gatlinberg area? If so, the Little River and the streams inside the GSMNP all are excellent places to fish. Bring a very light rod, 2wt. to 4 wt. I use a 6 1/2 foot 2 wt., 7 foot 3 wt. or a 8 1/2 foot 4 wt. depending on the area. There isn't a lot of casting room, so you're going to leave a lot of flies in the trees.

I've had a lot of luck with #14 elk hair caddis, tie them up with olive, brown or black abdomen. Para adams, and yellow stimulators are also good choices.

hey where ya going in tenn. i love to fish tenn. i fish there all i get time to i am actually from VA but love to sneak down there. are you going into the mtns or going to the tailwaters. tailwaters=big fish. but not all the time. there are some moster browns and rainbows in the holston and watagua. there are other tailwaters down there but that is all i have fished nyself. if you go there be careful and call the generation schedule. the # is 1800 238 2264 then push #4 and select #01 for holston and #42 for wilber dam which feed watagua river after selecting the dam you want push the "#" to hear generation schedule. You can get the next day's hours after 4PM. you can't wade if they are generating these rivers so please be careful. any help need email me [email protected] if you are heading to any mtn streams closer to the Va border i know some of them too so let me know if you need any help. i am not by far a expert but alway will to give an oppinion. and can hook you up with guides if you wish. no for god sake not me!

Ive never been flyfishing in streams before (only stillwater nymphing) but if i were going i would use this type of setup: (if im wrong, dont blame me lol)

I would use taperd leader attached to my flyline. I dont know what kind of flys to use but with dry flies i dont think it matters how long your leader is. (if im wrong someone correct me)

Sry i cant be of more help sad.gif