Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymaster

Chernobyl hoppers

I am just begging to try these hoppers. not even sure it i speeled it right at this point. i think i have the basics just looking for fine tuning tips from someone experienced. help.gif

I looked at these hoppers on-line (Cabelas has them). I tie foam cicadas and the only real tip I have for foam tyers is to lay down a good layer of thread on the hook and then some zap-a-gap and then let it dry before trying to tie down the foam. If you don't, the thread chases the foam around the hook and your bug looks crooked. If you want another cool looking foam hopper search the web for the club sandwich hopper. Good luck!

use strong thread, at least a 3/0....lighter threads will break when you try to tie in the foam nice and tight. I do not tie many ants this way, but I tie a pot full of BLT or Clubsanwich hoppers. Very easy pattern to tie...very effective as well. The trick with the Hoppers is to make a small slit in the foam. You wrap a nice thread base on the shank, cement with CA adhesive (superglue) and press the body onto the hook. The hook sinks into the body a bit and becomes permanent to the hook. Then you can tie in again and begin the segmentation with a series of overlapping X wraps. I had a link to precise instructions...I will try to find it....Recipe included easy tips for tying the Chernobyl, too.

go to www.flyanglersonline.com. Go to keyword search and type "foam hoppers"...you should find many articles for dressing foam hoppers and ants!

use strong thread, at least a 3/0....lighter threads will break when you try to tie in the foam nice and tight.

I agree. Good tip BDH. I was tying up some foam draggons the other day and broke the thread a few times, so I ended up trying out a new spool of Gudebrod 3/0. Man is that stuff tough. I'd origionally purchased it with deerhair in mind, but it worked great on the foam too. One word of caution though, watch your tension. That stuff will cut right through foam before it breaks. I haven't tried it on the deer hair yet, but I would suspect it'll cut that too.

Al

They got it right, you have to use really strong thread. Another way to make the foam thinner and stick is to shave your foam sheet in half. These will make it half the size in thickness. Do this with a few colors and then glue one color on top of the other. Use a natural color and a bright color on your fly, with the natural color on the bottom and the bright color on top for visiblity. Now how you have to do is cut to shape and tie onto hook. Another hint for making an effective chernobyl always put tons of rubber legs on the fly. The rubber legs not only help give the action to the fly which makes so deadly, but they help it float by relasing water tension.