Fly Tying
beartooth

OT-Cabela's Fly Reels

Hi there, this is off-topic, but I'm looking for anyone who's used any of the Cabela's brand fly reels.

Looking at the construction, they seem good enough, well constructed, etc, and I've had good success with other cabela's off-brand products.

I don't have the cash to spend on a $250 reel, and I'm looking to get a reel that I can use both 5wt and 7wt spools on, which shouldn't be a problem with these reels.

Here's a link to the cabela's reel page:

Reels

I'm looking at the Prestige and Drake Models, possibly the graphite models.

Thanks for your input!

KD

I bought Cabela's Prestige last year and more recently bought an Okuma Sierra reel. They are the exact same reel-apparently Okuma makes their prestige reels and "rebrands" them.

I like the reels. You can currently buy the Okuma reels online from Hook&Hackle at a sale price and free shipping if your order totals at least $50.

Dave

You should be able to find Sierra's for around $35.00 the price is really beat up on them. you might also take a look at the fenwick cartride reel same price point,extra spools are alot less.

Thanks for the feedback, guys, appreciate it.

It sounds like the lower price reels can give some good performance, so it's worth shot, I suppose.

Thanks.

KD

Thanks, they seem to have some great rod/reel combos, and I might wait a while and save up for that.

I would love to have a another $600 rod (I have a donated Winston), but I'm finding it hard to convince myself it's worth the money.

KD

I have the Cabela's SR-2 for my 8 weight -- really nice reel for the money, very smooth drag that stands up to stripers and redfish--the older models (w/o quick release spools) are on sale right now--really cut price and great deal--I don't mind unscrewing them to change spools, frankly

Beartooth,

If you are in the market for a combo, take a look at their (Cabela's) Stowaway combos. They come in 5 and 7 piece rods and different reels. I bought an 8 ft 5 wt Stowaway-7 with the prestige reel last summer for around $170 including line and backing. It's a great rod for the money-well made and casts great.

Dave

Do you find the action on the multi-peice rod as good as others? I lean more towards the 2 piece, just becuase it seems the more finneals you have, the less predictible the action is, but I haven't used these stow-aways, though.

KD

I just bought their 3 fork, and love the combo. Only 65 dollars for the combo. Hope this helps. Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

Red:

That's on my shopping list (maybe a few months), with one of the higher end reel combos. Based on these replies and other feedback, it seems like a good way to go.

I'm waiting for my Ultralight wading boots and my DryPlus GII breathable waders to show up, so if anyone's interested, I'll give a report when I've used them.

KD

Hey Bear..... I just got the Prestige combo from Cabelas but have yet to fish with it. I am currently planning on buying some of their DryPlus G2 waders this weekend. Just thought it funny that someone else is looking at the exact things smile.gif

QUOTE (Hunter333 @ Mar 4 2004, 11:38 AM)
Hey Bear..... I just got the Prestige combo from Cabelas but have yet to fish with it. I am currently planning on buying some of their DryPlus G2 waders this weekend. Just thought it funny that someone else is looking at the exact things smile.gif

That is funny.

Let me know how you like the combo. I've got a while to decide on those.

My G2's are awesome and the lite boots are as well. They feel a little "cheap" because they are so light before you put them on, but they are pretty confortable and are holding up well.

One note on the waders that I learned. I'm about 6'1, and I ordered the "tall" version. Well, I need to be about 6'3 to get the most out of the extra material. I like them to sit really high, and I like the extra leg room for climbing, but something to consider if you're looking at them. These sit just under my armpits when I'm wearing them.

Good luck!

biggrin.gif

I recommend the 5 pce Stowaway combo myself.

You can have the Drake or the Prestige reel I believe. ( Plus the line,backing, leaders)

I liked the 4Wt so much I bought the 8Wt to put in my luggage for a trip to B.C.

The 4wt is in a compartment in the back of the 4WD ready anytime.

Gotta love that.

Pretty good action rods for the $$

Cheers

Duff

I've heard the 5pcs don't have as good of action as the 2 pc. Do you find that to be true? Something to do with more joints or something.