Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ethan Bright

Odonate nymph

I guess it's too easy...

Ethan-

Get serious. It took me at least 2 hours of tearing my hair, and 1.5 hours into it, I was still undecided about the family. I had two major stumbling blocks. The first was not realizing that some Gomphid genera have parallel wing cases. The other was initially mistaking the knobbed antennae for partially extended mouthparts. With each identification attempted, I usually learn something. However, at times it feels a bit like stripping an evergreen tree, one needle at a time.

Taxon wrote:

"With each identification attempted, I usually learn something. However, at times it feels a bit like stripping an evergreen tree, one needle at a time."

Roger, welcome to the world of aquatic entomology and taxonomy!!!! You've summed it up magnificently - I've got to keep this quote and use it with students. Maybe you'd like to try midges?

Gomphids can be quite difficult, particularly the Gomphus complex, Ophiogomphus, and Stylurus. Regarding the divergent wingpads, the only ones we (in Michigan) have to worry about are Progomphus and Ophiogomphus (although Erpetogomphus may occur in the extreme southwestern part of the state if a population of E. designatus is still extant). The only gomphids with the "spatulate" 3rd antennal segment are Hagenius brevistylus (which no one can miss, there's nothing in North America like it - see picture below), Stylogomphus (which has recently been split (I think by Carl Cook) into two species, but the ones in Michigan are S. albistylus), and Lanthus (the latter which does NOT occur in Michigan). They're really handsome nymphs, and usually are plentiful in coarse substrate repleate with small woody and/or leafy detrital matter. In Marquette Co., Michigan, they emerge around the latter part of July, and usually during the day. I've observed ecdysis usually around mid-day, and teneral adults hang low close to the ground on vegetation or overhanding structures of the river bank. So, since they appear to emerge during the day, perhaps one of you clever flyfishers might make an immitation and try it? They do make a hearty treat for a hungry brookie!

post-5037-1158038287_thumb.jpg

I'll try to post some more pictures as time permits - it's pretty easy taking images with my SLR and microscope cameras, and the world of insects is SO interesting.

Cheers, Ethan

... Maybe you'd like to try midges? ...

Probably not. It's my understanding that (even) most professional entomologists shy away from attempting to identify Chironomids.

I'll try to post some more pictures as time permits - it's pretty easy taking images with my SLR and microscope cameras, and the world of insects is SO interesting.

That would be nice. I won't be so quick to jump on the next ones. That way, others may have more of an opportunity to learn.