Fly Tying
mhackney

Panorama of Southern Sierras

Here is a panorama assembled from 3 frames. I took these on the way out from fishing with Graham on Tuesday. The warm pinks coating the mountain tops was the result of the setting sun filtered through the distant smoke from the forest fire north of L.A. It was awesome scenery! I only had my point and click digital Canon on this trip.

post-1520-1158974051_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Michael "McHackney"

Thanks down2earthlv! Unfortunately, no camera could ever capture the magnificent color I have burned in my memory. Here is another taken from the same location. This was just an interesting brush pile that looked like it was deposited by high water.

post-1520-1158975019_thumb.jpg

I thought it had some interesting textures.

Cheers,

McHackney

This is what we were leaving - Peppermint Creek. Is this place beautiful or what! This part of the creek is a series of pools carved in to the granite boulders. Small shoots and cascades connect the pools. The fish here were very wary. I spotted a nice 10-11" Golden just beyond this pool that had a magnificent view of anything approaching it. I tried approaching 4 times - the last crawling on my belly - but as soon as I was spotted he hightailed it in to a little alcove. If only we had more time so I could have tried again!

post-1520-1158976477_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

McHackney

and this is what I traveled from Boston to the Sierras to catch! The story about how I caught this fish is a little interesting so I am thinking of writing a short story for Hatches. It might have been small but I had quite an adrenal rush!

post-1520-1158976947_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

McHackney

Hey McHackney, Nice McTrout...LOL...

I had such a great time fishing with you on Tuesday, a day I'll never forget. I think the trout you're holding is a pure strain wild Kern River Rainbow, which likely has some Golden in its hereditary. Next time we’ll go even further up into the Golden Trout Wilderness, or maybe the E. Sierra, both of which are incredible.

Your photos are gorgeous; really give a feeling of how beautiful the scenery is. I’ve now realized that point and shoot cameras are awesome photographic tools. You got the shot of the mountains fully bathed in the quickly dimming sunset light, while I was grabbing and setting up a tripod. I like the shots I got, but you captured the magic light.

Dreaming of next time,

Graham

This one's for you Graham - here you are on your perch reeling in your catch. I can't find the actual fish in this photo but it is obviously still on the line. This was the 2nd of 2 shots of your catch and I am pretty sure you had the fish in the air at the time this was taken.

post-1520-1158978167_thumb.jpg

The view from up there was fantastic. You could see some big hogs milling about down in the deep. The water was 15+ feet in the channel and crystal clear.

Cheers,

McHackney

Cool shot! The fish was probably about 14", but I don't see it either. Oh well, next time!

Here's another mountain view shot, greatly reduced for web posting, but the larger file clearly shows smoke drifting high up in the air. Talking about fires and smoke, this weekend we'll get strong Santa Anna winds, and I'm sure you'll be hearing about fires in the news. The one we drove past is still huge and scary.

post-992-1158978671_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Graham

I took about 150 photos that day, and its real hard deciding which ones I like the most. Here's another shot of the granite pools, and it’s surprising how deep the crevices are, and most of them hold wild trout. I like this area so much!

post-992-1158979631_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot of you fishing a larger pool. I wonder who built the little dam?

post-992-1158981912_thumb.jpg