Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joesmax

Tying with foam

HI all,

Ive have my interest peaked at tying with foam. I've gone to local book store but have found nothing on tying with the different types. Can anyone describe the difference between close and open cell. I have purchased the foam that many of you have been talking about at walmarty. But since I dont know the difference between the two im wondering what to use for different flys. Please if you can discribe the difference and what applications they might be used for....\

thanks in advance, Joe Myers

Hey Joe, the closed cell foam does not absorb water and floats. the open cell foam will absorb water and will sink when weight is added to it(hook). Craft foam is almost always closed cell, I believe. I bought mine at JoAnns fabrics and it makes great Chernobyl Ants , club sandwiches, etc. I'm going to try cutting some narrow strips and using them for posts on some parachute dries. Have fun .

Thanks,

But if I may add to the question. I have some white foam I had lying around the house....I guess you normally find it when you buy like a TV. The packing found to support and protect the unit...it has bubbles that are both open and closed depending on how it is cut. Would this be considered open or closed?

Thanks again, Hey im just trying to understand.....joe

Hi Joe,

I believe it would be considered closed clell foam. I've seen emerger patterns tied with that type of foam. For example, craft foam (closed cell) is very dense, and almost always comes in 2mm thickness. Open cell foam (such as furry foam, etc..) is not as dense and as noted above will sink when weighted or wet. Both are excellent in certain types of applications.

Hope this helps,

To tell what type of foam you have put the foam in a glass of water. If it absorbs the water (like a sponge) it is open cell, and is for use in subsurface patterns. If it doesn't absorb the water it is closed cell and the air in the cells will help float a fly.

Sometimes I can't remember what board I've mentioned what subject-

Most of the dense, colored foam sheeting you find in craft stores is 'closed cell'

Now to piggyback this, what is the terminology difference between the pre-formed popper and slider bodies and the stuff you make ants and hoppers with?