Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyBoyJack

My fly tying kit

I like the bag it comes in. Nice. It looks like a pretty good assortment of stuff to get you started. Now plan on spending a couple hundred a year in hooks, additional materials, tools upgrades, etc. Just wait until you start pricing those exotic bird skins.... :blink: Welcome to the addiction! :D

More hooks. You'll soon discover that you never will have enough materials...been tying four years and still regularly drop 100-200 per month on materials which is peanuts compared to some of the guys on here...You may find that you want another pair of scissors so you can save one for tinsels and wire and keep the other nice. Also, I would go through a single pheasant tail very quickly, but I just really like using them in my nymphs. I also rather enjoy tying with different color goose biots for nymphs and dry fly bodies, plus they are pretty cheap to experiment with. What all will you be tying? That is the real question that will dictate materials needed. It appears that the second column in that box is dubbing. If so, you should have enough colors that you can mix for a while before you need anything else. You may also want a few different types of hairs, but don’t bother until you want to start experimenting. Remember that you can always substitute materials if you don’t have something, that is the beauty of tying your own. Looks like a stellar start. Find patterns you want to try and start to find your personal preferences and pretty soon about the only things you will need is a local fly shop or JStockard and time! BTW...awsome price on the materials

Looks pretty good to start out on.

Get a lamp, If possible get a small waste basket that attaches to your vise to catch all materials you trim (this is not necessary for the production of flies is comes in very handy when trying to keep a room clean).

Check it -

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/O...g-Garb-Bag.html

Dubbing is great and get some scud backing.

-alex