Fly Tying
MNFISHER

hares foot

What part of the hares foot is the useful one? I tried the bottom and my flys didn't float very well.

could these be bad feet. maybe the hair needs to be parallel to the water.Yours thought would appreciated thanks in advance :help:

Try splitting the foot between the toes. This will open up a lot of good hair for tying. You want to use the long curly hairs for wings. The hair at the bottom(heel) of the foot is not what you want to use.

If you can, get a copy of "Tying Emergers" by Schollmeyer and Leeson. If you have to maybe you can

borrow one from a friend or your public library. This is well covered on pgs 27-29 in the book. I think

it will answer your questions.

To really abbreviate it they say that the most useful hair for most applications is on the back 1/2 of the

Foot. In just a few applications the longer coarser hair in the second 1/4 (from the front) can be used.

The front 1/4 is of no use. That's the nutshell version. Get the book if you can.

Tight lines,

Tom