Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mandoyak

A pair of Rattle Clousers

Used Bass Pro's 5mm glass rattles, mylar tubing, and EP fibers. Cool recipe and can't wait to try 'em out. Good ol' red/white and well, it ain't no use if it ain't got chartreuse...

John

nice pattern.

I tied a few of those too using the same bass pro rattle. Be careful casting those puppies, the rattles are heavy, I wacked the back of my head casting a larger one for stripers in the chesapeake bay not too long ago, boy does that smart, but at least the rattle nor my head did not break or crack :D

I debated (with myself no less) whether or not to go with the 4mm or 5mm rattles. I think for a Musted 3366, size 1, the 5mm may be a bit too big and I think the 4mm should be the way to go. I was concerned with how "rattle-y" the smaller ones would be. As it is I used the bead-chain eyes to minimize weight but I figured they'd be pretty heavy. Perhaps too heavy for my 6 wt., ah well, another good excuse to buy a new rod!

John

Mandoyak

yeah I am swinging a 8 and 9 wt for these big boys. I also checked my pattern, I used some heavy dumbell eyes, which added to the issue. Mine are tied on 2/0 and 1/0.

It helps reinforce the term "check and duck"