Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryanfly15

Steelhead fishing on Sat.

I got up around 4:30 am and drove to meet up with 3 friends. We got to near Erie, Elk creek about 7:30. The air temp. was around 20 deg. (Cold as hell). Started the day off slow, with ice/slush coming down the creek or covering some of the slow moving water holes. Picked up a few steelies, then had a truck lunch. We relocated and did some walking. Now the sun was up and the air had warmed and the fishing picked up. We were having fun hooking and trying to land those awesome fish. The 4 of us probably landed (fair hooked) about 4/5 fish a piece. Foul hooked several others. I was lucky enough to get one that was over 10 lbs. I had a blast with the weather being nice and being with friends and getting my feet and line wet and catching fish. Anybody fishing Elk, let me know when and where and I will try to see you there. If anyone has questions about Elk, let me know. I fish it often and I know it pretty well.

Steelie fishing rules headbang.gif

Thanks for the report Bryan! As you probably know I'm heading up the first couple of days in April so I'm glad to hear you got into some fish. What type of flies was working well for you? I have fished Elk as far up as the Legion hole so I'm not incredibly knowledgable about the area so any pointers on places to get into some would be greatly appreciated wink.gif

hey man great report its good to no theres more guys there I fished the first time there this past fall it is nice there I will be with the guys in april and any othere time I can. so hope to see you soon. good fish

I personally fish from the "waterfall" hole/cascade falls up to the railroad tubes and from platz road up to and past the mckean hole. I usually use a wolly bugger and drop a sucker spawn from that. If the water is low and clear, I use nymphs with florocarbon. Love those silver bullets. wink.gif