Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Epoxy over Hard-as-Nails

Are there any problems with tying and coating the thread and fiber with Hard-as-Nails as you go, and then after finishing the fly, coming back to build a better, stronger head by placing epoxy over the original coat of Hard-as-Nails? Is that a compatible cover when the other is dry?

Thanks!

Ray

I would assume it is.

I've got a few foam head baitfish drying right now. The heads are painted with NYC nail polish, then coated with epoxy. So I would assume it will work with sally hansens. You might want to spread a little hard as nails on a piece of paper and then coat it with epoxy first and see what happens, just to be safe.

For coating thread and materials (such as lead underbody covered with thread, parachute posts, etc.) I think one of the brush on super-glues like loctite or krazy glue would work better. I think they absorb into the threads and material better than the hard as nails.

As you probably know, many tiers coat epoxy with hard as nails, particularly if the epoxy remains slightly sticky (usually the result of not getting the mix exactly 50-50)

Actually, more times than not, I've had problems with superglues with water, some brands just aren't as water compatible as others (besides, I've become expert at gluing my fingers together). Finger nail polishes by their very nature must be waterproof, but somtimes multiple coats are called for. As far as putting epoxy over Hard As Nails, there should be no problem as long as the Hard As Nails has dried completely, otherwise the epoxy cure may be a bit slowed.

Mark Delaney

I've heard others say the super glues areen't waterproof. I don't doubt them, but can say I've never encountered that problem.

If you decide to use superglue for tying again, I highly recommend the brush-on versions. If nothing else, it will eliminate the finger-gluing!