Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hot Tuna

Microslit foam...any ideas?

I recently tied a dee fly I wanted to put in the mail. I had the problem of how to ship it. I remembered this thread and found an old foam mouse pad, about 1/4 inch thick, I had laying around. I cut it to fit into a deep mustad signature saltwater streamer hook box. Lined up the fly and made a slit with a razor. Very slick way to hold a fly. When I go to replace some worn out foam I know what I am going to do. As for the existing foam in the boxes I might just give the razor/slot a go.

Sounds good Joe Hard....I lucked out and found a brnad new pair of Singer pinking shears at my friend's Used Furniture and Collectible store for 5 bucks. It cuts 6mm craft foam like a charm....I plan on cutting strips of it and gluing it into Altoids boxes I've been saving for future fly swaps.

Thanks to everyone who contributed on this thread...it's great having a brain trust of 8,000 plus guys and gals...you're my Soggy Bottom Boys(and girls....LOL)

Hot Tuna

PS For those that didn't get it...Soggy Bottom Boys is a cinematic reference to the movie that happily revived many people's interest in bluegrass and traditional country music Oh Brother Where Art Thou.

Can anyone post pictures of their creations? I am a visual person and seeing some of the results may help clear up a few loose ends for me.

Randy

Sign in to follow this